April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ian Forrester, SKB, 2 invisible), 942 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,105
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, ClapperZapper, Imperdix, liverwort, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#610936 02/11/2022 6:29 PM
by liverwort
liverwort
Hello, I have a 1913 12 gauge Fox Sterlingworth and decide to use it for pheasant this past season. I loaded a low pressure load for it that pushes a 1 ounce load to 1125fps by the data. I used #6 shot. I had a couple of hit birds run and, wanting to keep using the same load, I'm wondering if I go to 5s or even 4s that will improve things, or do I just need more velocity? Each bird was hit using modified choke normal ranges, stocked birds. My previous hunting was with a 20ga 1 oz #6 load at 1220 fps which was fine. Thanks for any helpful advice.
Liked Replies
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
I would be very reluctant to base any indictment of #6 shot on the wounding of just two birds. Two birds do not constitute a valid statistical sampling in any kind of reasonable comparison. I'm inclined to be thinking the Fox isn't shooting to the same POA that the previous 20 ga. did. A patterning session will tell the tale. I'm a hard sell that the problem is the 75 fps difference.
2 members like this
by Hal
Hal
Have a budy who prides himself in not driving pellets up the rear end of pheasants. Remarkable how many he kills with head and neck shots. So 'knowing where your pattern is" is his key to success. He prefers 6's over smaller shot. Conversely, he still uses BBB's and even T's on cranes, swans, and giant Canadas, while I maintain that going for head and neck shots with 1's results in fewer lost birds.
2 members like this
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
If you are shooting stocked birds at normal distances and they are running off, it’s not the pellets.

An ounce of sixes is plenty of pellets for density, and plenty of energy for penetration.

You can pump the pellets up to 1200 if you like, and see if there’s a difference.

I would probably investigate via necropsy, skin a bird, and see where I hit it.

If the holes in the bird make no sense, you might pattern that load/shotgun combination. It might not be hitting where you’re looking.
1 member likes this
by Mark II
Mark II
An ounce of sixes properly placed will kill wild birds all day long. Lower velocity at the muzzle will usually keep patterns from being blown. It could be your patterns are tighter than you think and you didn't get as good a hit as you thought. If you pattern the gun and it is thin use 1 1/8 of sixes. If you go to #5's I'd go to 1 1/8 load around 1100 fps. Pheasants are a big target with a lot of area that doesn't produce a clean kill. They also have lots of feathers that can produce a big poof that doesn't do much.
1 member likes this
by oskar
oskar
When I was shooting birds for hunt tests my goto load was Rem Handicap 7 1/2's and for the Master dogs we would intentionally let them fly quite a ways to get good retrieves, "No Bird" was expesive for the club and tough on the dog.

My goto load for wild pheasants is B&P 2 1/2" High Pheasant 1oz 6's, works just fine.

MT wild birds
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

My goto for waterfowl is 7/8oz of ITX 6's in my 12ga
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.