March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Southern Sport), 860 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
ClapperZapper, DAM16SXS, John Roberts, mc, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Other than sending it to a professional wood man, how would you stabilize this crack? Thanks.

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/...J8KR1A6QWLG5XU/22081_15.JPG?format=1500w

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/...JCJGI5MUPP4RU0/22081_16.JPG?format=1500w

JR
Liked Replies
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
David Trevallion sent me these long ago; milling for the fillet, which I believe is easier with a straight grip

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

With some repairs he milled out and fit fillets on both sides of the tang

Mark Dube's images without the PhotoBucket mess
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=79427&page=1

Glued

1 member likes this
by Brittany Man
Brittany Man
Originally Posted by Hammergun
I've glued cracks like this and I like to inlet a piece of ash or hickory under the guard and I glue it with West System epoxy. It's probably overkill but then I don't have to worry about failure.

+1

In repairing cracks like we are discussing "overkill" is a good concept. In my experience, the first attempt at the repair is your best shot at getting a cosmetically acceptable & permanent repair. If the crack returns after repair by simply putting adhesive in the crack it is much more difficult to achieve this. It never hurts to add some reinforcement if you can do it w/o it showing.
1 member likes this
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Thanks for all replies, gentlemen. All good info!
JR
1 member likes this
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
II wouldn’t think favorably upon a person that sold me a shotgun with a stock that was broken clear through that he had hid the crack with superglue until he had my money.
But that’s just me.

Why would you mention this within this discussion? Nobody has said anything about buying or selling a broken stock nefariously.
JR
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by Clapper Zapper
Other posters commented on how they cover up such problems with superglue and then hide the repair.
If I were to purchase a gun that it was cracked in the manner that this one is, and the cracks were hidden with superglue, and it subsequently broke I would not be happy.

Honest repairs are, well, HONEST

Super glue doesn't hide the repair. It is a MEANS of repair. Sanding in finish hides it. Hiding a repair does not, in spite of what you may think, imply unethetical intent. You're the only one who found reason for unethical intent in the use of it.

Would you kindly explain how repairing a crack and leaving it visible on the outside is more ethical?

And one more thing ................ by your term "other posters", then misrepresenting my description with your use of the term "cover up", you have implied in a back-handed manner that I would intentionally hide a repair from a potential buyer. That is reprehensible, inaccurate and highly insulting. You owe an apology, but given your propensity for argument in the past I doubt you will admit it.
1 member likes this
by damascus
damascus
This is rather an interesting point about a hidden repair, I have over a long time repaired many stock problems from the stock being in pieces to scratch removal. But in all the repairs I have done I have never been told to make the repair noticeable ever! May be it is the case of I am paying for the repair so I want the best repair possible. That put the onus on me to produce the best work and if that means hiding my repair because of professional pride I will do it and have done it having no thoughts what will happen to the gun when I handed it over to the paying customer. As they say in the repair business "the customer is always right."
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.