Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
CJF, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#610139 01/27/2022 4:46 AM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
It never ceases to amaze me what prices some people pay in auctions. here is a recent example.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Sold on EBay for $1,100.00, 30" Remington SP 10 barrel in good but used condition. I have seen several sell on EBay for $450-550.00. But this one went crazy.

A complete guns just sold on GunBroker for$1125.00 and it had both the regular barrel, a slug barrel and scope. If I was the seller I wold be a very happy person. If I was the buyer and found out that I just paid more for a single barrel than an entire gun cold be bought for then I might be a little mad at myself.
Liked Replies
#610182 Jan 27th a 11:46 PM
by AGS
AGS
Originally Posted by KY Jon
On items like this I keep checking to see if it gets resisted. Sometimes it is a non paying bidder, sometimes a bidder who demands a full refund for some real or imagined reason and sometimes it is a shill bidder. When every I see the second bidder has a very low number of feedbacks or worse none at all I approach with caution. Don’t let a shill bidder run the price up. Set your limits and walk away above that. There will always be another one along soon enough.

I was the other bidder on that gun. This newly registered buyer with no rating showed up with about 4 hours left and started bidding. We were the only two bidding and he drove me up from $1700 to $2400, and I quit.

Several years ago, I bought a late production Savage Sterlingworth 16 at Jaquas which had the original Hardware Store hangtag and literally looked unfired. It also had an amazing stock (probably a leftover inventory piece) which Walt Snyder said in a post was the nicest stock he had ever seen on a Sterlingworth. Being an idiot, I sold it a few years ago. Lately I have been trying to accumulate a set of working grade classic double smallbores in nice original shape. The Stirlingworth is being a problem. I only bid as much as I did on this one since I had lost out on a much nicer one about an hour before that was really correct and finally pushed almost $3000. This gun was the fallback, and I lost it too.

The smallbores are really escalating. I know because I have been trying to buy several recently.
1 member likes this
#610224 Jan 29th a 03:09 PM
by rwmckee
rwmckee
Originally Posted by Dan S. W.
I would be curious to see if the seller actually got paid. I just had a high bidder on a watch bid up the auction at the last minute, and then refuse to complete the transaction after winning.

Non-paying bidders are getting worse on Ebay and horrible on Gunbroker. One guy on Gunbroker actually told me "walmart takes returns. it's how things are, get used to it." Well, auctions aren't Walmart. Auction bids are contracts. And, it's not always people with NR or few feedbacks, at least on gunbroker. I've got one right now I'm sure I'll have to relist and this guy has several hundred feedbacks, virtually all A+'s but five for non-payment. Been a week and no response.

And Gunbroker is such a pain to get a listing fee credit, takes about a month for their process, and I don't think even then I've ever been reimbursed so I just relist and chalk it up as a loss.

The real problem is the number of people who think this is a perfectly fine way to behave.

Roger
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.