March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, dukxdog, Owenjj3, Parabola, Tom Findrick
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by dukxdog
dukxdog
I have been interested in and looking for a Dickson for the past few years.

Living where I do, I seldom get any opportunity to actually hold or shoot any gun before I send money for it!

I like grips better than straight stocks so that really limits guns that I might choose to purchase (not that straight is a total dealbreaker as I have both styles). Nicely figured wood is always a plus.

I prefer 28-30" barrels for my field guns. 28" is ideal.

I really want my 12ga field guns to be at 6#12oz or less. I have been searching for a magical 12ga that is at or under 6.25 lbs. I hand load all of my upland game ammo for my vintage guns. My 12ga shells are either 1oz or 1 1/8oz @1200fps low pressure 2.5" length. This gun was proofed for 2 3/4" @3 tons per sq. in. when new barrels were installed.

I had seen this particular Dickson on the internet over a year ago. It was one of the most beautiful shotguns I had ever seen BUT the issue for me, was sleeved barrels. I has only held one sleeved gun previously. I see more sleeved Dicksons for sale than not. I saved the phots of this Dickson on my computer desktop. I just loved it other than the sleeving.

The gun sold after several weeks. No big deal...there are more shotguns, right?

Well two weeks ago I was doing my daily search of gun sites. Dang if this beauty didn't show up once again! Well this time I called immediately to made a deal on it to be mine. I wasn't about to lose it.

The shotgun is all that I had hoped it to be along with meeting all my criteria. The sleeving is fine not bothering me at all. It does not distract from the rest of the gun. The gun had been back to the Dickson shop in 2019 for maintenance along with fresh strip & clean, recut checkering, etc before its trip across the Atlantic.

I hope you will enjoy my photos while I am loving owning this precious vintage firearm.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Now for the BONUS! Here is the provenance that goes along with the life of this fine shotgun:

This magnificent Round-Action is one of many guns that serve as poignant reminder of the sacrifice and personal cost of war. Made for Percy Lionel Moubray in 1890, gifted to him by his father, Capt. W. H. Moubray (Royal Navy) for his eighteenth birthday. Later becoming Capt. P. L. Moubray, Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) he would serve in The South African Campaign before heading to the western front in 1914. On the 29th of October of that year, whilst defending the Menin road into Ypres, the main supply line for the British, the 3rd battalions loses for the day amounted to 5 officers (inc. Capt. Moubray) and 250 men. His name inscribed on Panel 37 of the Menin Gate Memorial.

I will enjoy carrying this wonderful gun and shoot birds with the continuing honor and memory of Capt. P.L.Moubray. Rest in peace Captain. Your shotgun is in loving hands.
Liked Replies
by PALUNC
PALUNC
A few years ago I was looking for something different. I considered a nice English boxlock but like you the Dickson had an appeal like no others.
I contacted Dan Morgan knowing his love for Dickson's and his frequent visits to Scotland to visit Graham MacKinlay.
At the time he told me about one or two he knew about. But one day he told me of a very nice gun that was just recently going through work being done by Graham.
It was a 1943 Dickson with 28" barrels. The gun came with the original case with the original owners initials and had his initials still on the gold oval.
A deal was done and shortly I had a dream of a gun in my hands.
Now I do not shoot it all that well but when I miss I look good doing it.
Cheers
1 member likes this
by Mr W martin
Mr W martin
dukxdog, very nice gun and I hope you enjoy it. Another reminder of the tragic consequences of the defence of freedom. Such a terrible loss of young men. Hopefully the gun continues in use , partly as a tribute to the fallen. Regards
1 member likes this
by Worker Bee
Worker Bee
Can you PM me, please? I have some further information on your beautiful gun.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.