March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Shane Reed
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Shane Reed
Shane Reed
Hello all. Have a Manufrance 32ga. It is a small double hammer. There is a serial I believe on the end of stock. If I am reading it correctly under my loop appears the numbers are 4297 stamped in wood. Anyone have an idea of year? Has anyone seen a 32 Guage in this brand?
Liked Replies
by canvasback
canvasback
Originally Posted by Shane Reed
Originally Posted by RARiddell
I think this gun was listed and relisted on GB
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/919234185
Relisted
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/920834637
Yes I did put it up on that site. The story is, I bought the gun from a guy on another site. He was told it was a 410, and found out it wasn't. I got it and put away in my safe this summer. Decided to list it as he told me it was a 28 Guage, and I have since purchased two newer 28's. I bought some 28ga shells since, and surprise they didn't work when I recently tried to put in the gun. Brought the gun to Orvis. The gunsmith at Orvis was able to check the Guage. So it's a 32 Guage chambered at 2.5" so it is marked correctly. Between the barrels has a number 28 which is likely why the seller told me it was a 28 Guage and also why I thought the same. I have some fioci 32 Guage shells now thanks to the guys at Orvis. I am a bit afraid to shoot but sure it's probably just fine and was told by the gunsmith I could. It's a tight gun and on face. No issues with the barrels. I have seriously considered keeping this gun in my collection, but have just so many 21+ and limited space. Trying to get down to just guns I will continue to use as this is the first year I have started to bird hunt, and I am a lefty. It's hard to be a collector with a family of 4 in a small home đŸ˜„ I know this Guage was meant for quail, but how would it do on Pheasant? Rabbit? Obviously not Turkey though I would love to try.

I know a few guys who are quite successful with .410 on turkey. Using TSS handloads.
1 member likes this
by ellenbr
ellenbr
The initials >>CH<< were more than likely those of the Stephanos frame filer. Mechanics added their initials for compensation and liability.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
1 member likes this
by Argo44
Argo44
Picture of the fences from Shane - No Doll's Head:

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
1 member likes this
by Argo44
Argo44
La tete de poupée - Doll's Head - added to the vocabulary.

I recall we discussed this about a year ago....I don't think I ever added it to the original list below. Done.
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forum...rd=1&Number=480959&what=showflat
1 member likes this
by canvasback
canvasback
Originally Posted by Shane Reed
Originally Posted by ellenbr
Maybe it was surplus stock/components and there was one last client for a 32 bore hammergun?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
When did Manufrance start making 32 ga and when did production end? Thus far have only seen 10,12,16, and 20.
Thank you Dave for knowing what I meant about "dolls head" I did not know the term.

MF was known for changing things up regularly, including their model designations. Without a specific catalogue listing from the year a specific gun is made, if the model designation is not on the gun, it's impossible to know what it was. Something that was designated model X one year could be designated model Y the following. Gauge is the same. In one year, out the next. Using catalogues from years other than the year of Mfc is just guessing. Educated perhaps but still just a guess.

And I know for a fact, having seen them, they also made 24 gauge, 28 gauge and 32 gauge. I do not specifically recall or have notes on seeing a .410.
1 member likes this
by fab500
fab500
Absolument Argo. Le fusil a été éprouvé avec 4,20 grammes de poudre J2 et 30 grammes de plomb.

Les PS et PJ datent de 1896.
Les PM et PR datent de 1898.
La PT date de 1900.
Le poinçon F couronné date de 1898.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.