March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Drew Hause, LeFusil
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Tamid
Tamid
I've been looking at two Baker guns that are very similar. One is listed as a Paragon and the other as an A grade. I really cannot tell the difference except for the wood is higher quality on the Paragon and it has a grip cap. The serial numbers are very close with the A grade at 408 and the Paragon at 425. I haven't been able to find enough information on the net to determine what is the real difference if any at all. Can someone tell me what is what and why. Thank you.

Baker Paragon

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Liked Replies
by Daryl Hallquist
Daryl Hallquist
The A Grade is etched for the most part, not hand engraved. The Paragon is hand engraved by Frank Mason. I have seen his signature on a Paragon in that serial no. range. Actually the serial numbers of the two guns are not close. The A and B grades used a series from 1 to about 7000 from 1892 to about 1908. The Paragon and higher grades used a separate series of serial numbers from 100 [maybe lower but I have not seen any] to about 1160 from 1894-1911. After that, the serial numbering of the Paragons could be anywhere from 38,000-52,000 until 1919. A and B grades stopped using etching decoration about serial no. 2900. After that the A and B were hand engraved by Frank Mason , but the coverage was less than on the etched guns.
1 member likes this
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
Baker A. Breech balls not engraved

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Paragon. 2 dogs pointing was a very common motif

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Have you been on Daryl's Baker site?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PqK3UImDCrsOrk6O_2DsovHXvaNSzliSiwaP35Y6PMk/edit

Baker engraving
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uGeSuMJBPMNGh0ydCQXeAnpGRLANfl0Uhe954818veQ/edit
1 member likes this
by Daryl Hallquist
Daryl Hallquist
Drew, your help with the Baker Website, is really good and appreciated. Your list in Baker Engraving is very informative. Thanks for the effort.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.