July
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31
Who's Online Now
11 members (John E, LeFusil, 1916XE, ithaca1, 3 invisible), 77 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics37,050
Posts519,663
Members14,183
Most Online462
Aug 5th, 2016
Thread Like Summary
barrel browner, Dan S. W., eeb, mc, SKB
Total Likes: 16
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by barrel browner
barrel browner
The first gun made by the newly formed John Manton And Son Gunmakers Ltd. A Boss style 20 bore sidelock ejector with 32 inch barrels serial number 18341 ready for stocking and engraving.



[img]http://www.facebook.com/John-Manton...tos/pcb.403951624411624/403950621078391/[/img]
Liked Replies
by barrel browner
barrel browner
Hi all,
Thanks for the comments good and bad. Here is a bit more info. Ed Good. The gun I can assure you was not made in Belgium, the action work was done by Gary Hibbert one of the finest actioners this country has produced. The barrels were made by Peter Higgins for those that do not know his name go on the Greener website and look at the Damascus barrel guns he made all of them. All the work on this gun has been done by guys at the top of their trade. My partner and good friend in this business Luke Bromley has put a lot of work into this gun he will be stocking it. Click on the link to take a look at the pictures of Luke's amazing work, Luke was the last apprentice to serve under David McKay Brown.



https://www.facebook.com/luke.bromley.9828/photos

Ed, you posted a link to the real Manton. Joseph Manton. for information only John and Joseph were brothers and were equally talented Joseph was actually Johns apprentice before striking out on his own, Joseph`s guns were of course works of art but he had a good promoter of his goods in Col Peter Hawker, there are many collectors out there who believe John was every bit as good as his brother. As for trotting out a famous name I do not see anything wrong with that Purdey, Boss and Hollands have kept their names going for years John and Joseph Manton were the godfathers of the British gun trade so why not bring them back? Our aim is to produce high end guns that will hold their own with the best out there, we have five other guns in production with lots of other things planned including a four bore single barrel damascus gun and a double rifle. The gun originally posted was numbered 18341 to mark the year Manton past 1834 and 1 for the first of many guns. Have a great day everyone we will post more things as we move along.
3 members like this
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
A new low in cluelessly insulting buffoonery ed
Here you go, and you don''t need to be a Facebook member to access
https://www.facebook.com/pg/John-Manton-Gunmakers-Ltd-102130121260444/posts/

and BTW no one in the world does better barrel finishing than Paul Stevens
2 members like this
by barrel browner
barrel browner
Rome was not built in a day, I am happy to put my all into it and give it a try rather than sit on the side lines thinking about what could have been. There are many things being planned behind the scenes at John Manton and Son, only time will show if we are a success or not.
1 member likes this
by canvasback
canvasback
Originally Posted by barrel browner
Rome was not built in a day, I am happy to put my all into it and give it a try rather than sit on the side lines thinking about what could have been. There are many things being planned behind the scenes at John Manton and Son, only time will show if we are a success or not.

The world is made by those who try. Wishing you the very best of success in this new venture.
1 member likes this
by Mr W martin
Mr W martin
Originally Posted by barrel browner
Rome was not built in a day, I am happy to put my all into it and give it a try rather than sit on the side lines thinking about what could have been. There are many things being planned behind the scenes at John Manton and Son, only time will show if we are a success or not.
Best wishes on the venture, regards
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Best wishes to all involved, and another "thank you" for the link to Luke Bromley's pictures. They are absolutely priceless.
1 member likes this
by bushveld
bushveld
Originally Posted by barrel browner
Hi all,
Thanks for the comments good and bad. Here is a bit more info. Ed Good. The gun I can assure you was not made in Belgium, the action work was done by Gary Hibbert one of the finest actioners this country has produced. The barrels were made by Peter Higgins for those that do not know his name go on the Greener website and look at the Damascus barrel guns he made all of them. All the work on this gun has been done by guys at the top of their trade. My partner and good friend in this business Luke Bromley has put a lot of work into this gun he will be stocking it. Click on the link to take a look at the pictures of Luke's amazing work, Luke was the last apprentice to serve under David McKay Brown.



https://www.facebook.com/luke.bromley.9828/photos

Ed, you posted a link to the real Manton. Joseph Manton. for information only John and Joseph were brothers and were equally talented Joseph was actually Johns apprentice before striking out on his own, Joseph`s guns were of course works of art but he had a good promoter of his goods in Col Peter Hawker, there are many collectors out there who believe John was every bit as good as his brother. As for trotting out a famous name I do not see anything wrong with that Purdey, Boss and Hollands have kept their names going for years John and Joseph Manton were the godfathers of the British gun trade so why not bring them back? Our aim is to produce high end guns that will hold their own with the best out there, we have five other guns in production with lots of other things planned including a four bore single barrel damascus gun and a double rifle. The gun originally posted was numbered 18341 to mark the year Manton past 1834 and 1 for the first of many guns. Have a great day everyone we will post more things as we move along.

Paul;

Thank you for delineating the craftsmen working on the 20 SLE. And many thanks for the reference to Luke Bromely's facebook as I viewed all this photos (more than a 100); and the studying of those photos was an education in of itself on stockmaking--and the tools that I could see he had made. Luke's photos of the very old Dickson round action trigger plate mechanism are priceless. You can tell that he apprenticed under David McKay Brown by how clean and orderly his shop and benches are.

Kindest Regards;
StephenHowell
1 member likes this
by ed good
ed good
barrel, wishing you all the best in your new venture to recreate the best of the best...ed
1 member likes this
by eeb
eeb
32” sidelock 20 is a righteous gun
1 member likes this
by bushveld
bushveld
Originally Posted by barrel browner
The first gun made by the newly formed John Manton And Son Gunmakers Ltd. A Boss style 20 bore sidelock ejector with 32 inch barrels serial number 18341 ready for stocking and engraving.



[img]http://www.facebook.com/John-Manton...tos/pcb.403951624411624/403950621078391/[/img]

Paul;

That is beautiful gun building work. Thank you for sharing it with us.

The stock blank is magnificent and it will be a standout when completed. Who is going to engrave the gun and what engraving style?

Please keep us posted on the progress.

Kindest Regards;

Stephen Howell
1 member likes this
by mc
mc
If someone owns the name they can do what they want without asking you edd permission this looks like a great effort can't wait to see the finished gun
1 member likes this
by lonesome roads
lonesome roads
Originally Posted by canvasback
The world is made by those who try...

…and for failure, insolvency, by and by.


_____________________________
How ‘bout those Leafs, eh.
1 member likes this
by Dan S. W.
Dan S. W.
Originally Posted by barrel browner
The first gun made by the newly formed John Manton And Son Gunmakers Ltd. A Boss style 20 bore sidelock ejector with 32 inch barrels serial number 18341 ready for stocking and engraving.



[img]http://www.facebook.com/John-Manton...tos/pcb.403951624411624/403950621078391/[/img]

Looks like an exciting venture - look forward to seeing pictures of the finished gun, and in progress. Best of luck.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!


Copyright (c) 1993 - 2022 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5
(Release build 20201027)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.0.33-0+deb9u11+hw1 Page Time: 2.943s Queries: 22 (2.930s) Memory: 0.7751 MB (Peak: 1.4340 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2022-07-04 12:00:49 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS