March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Little Creek, DaveB, gunmaker, bushveld, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 792 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
67galaxie, canvasback, Cold Iron, DAM16SXS, Geo. Newbern, Glacierjohn, GLS, gunut, Stanton Hillis, susjwp
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#598050 06/11/2021 3:10 PM
by FallCreekFan
FallCreekFan
Sitting at my tying bench yesterday and found myself wondering, “What is it about fly rods and double guns?”

There sure seems to be an affinity between them and the sports they are tools of.

Thoughts?
Liked Replies
#598145 Jun 13th a 10:40 AM
by GLS
GLS
While she doesn't shoot, she loves to fish with her old dad. Daughter with the Brook Trout Tattoo. Gil
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
4 members like this
#598051 Jun 11th a 03:14 PM
by Dan S. W.
Dan S. W.
A penchant for making things more difficult and expensive???
3 members like this
#598065 Jun 11th a 07:32 PM
by Der Ami
Der Ami
When I could still walk with out a stick, I dearly loved wading farm ponds with a flyrod and small popping bugs ( mostly yellow) or Shuman's crickets after Blue Gills and Shellcrackers or sometimes small bass. That is also fly fishing, but I submit it is not elitist. It is pretty hard to fly fish with a walking stick in one hand.
Mike
1 member likes this
#598062 Jun 11th a 06:28 PM
by Tom Findrick
Tom Findrick
You can add pipe-smoking to that.
1 member likes this
#598073 Jun 11th a 09:12 PM
by SamW
SamW
Add a drilling and backpack fly/spin outfit for an all-in-one package...

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
1 member likes this
#598056 Jun 11th a 05:36 PM
by Researcher
Researcher
Never got to me. While I have loved upland hunting with a vintage double over an English Setter or two for sixty years, fishing to me is my five foot Shakespeare Ugly Stick, an ultra light spinning reel and a small pixie. While I wander around Kodiak Island that is all I use. Mostly looking for pan size Dolly Vardens, but Lots of Pink and Silver Salmon and a few Rainbows. Haven't fished in the lower 48 for nearly two decades.

The fact that fly fishermen require waters restricted to fly only fishing has always seemed very elitist to me!!
1 member likes this
#598066 Jun 11th a 07:50 PM
by rocky mtn bill
rocky mtn bill
The connection may be that they're both beatifully made and beautiful to see in use. Both have a long and gloriful literature. The United States is the one country in the world where both are available to anyone who wants to learn their disciplines. They are passtimes that allow the participant to be a part of ancient traditions.
1 member likes this
#598072 Jun 11th a 08:42 PM
by Dan S. W.
Dan S. W.
Can't catch (most) Appalachian brookies on conventional tackle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
1 member likes this
#598063 Jun 11th a 07:23 PM
by LGF
LGF
And Islay whisky.
1 member likes this
#598140 Jun 13th a 02:08 AM
by Argo44
Argo44
I don't fish....don't hunt much more. But the stories and the prose on this line, some of it in staccato simple declarative sentence fashion, is striking, empathetic, poignant....almost Hemingway-ish. You guys can flat tell a story and write! And what's not said is as evocative as what is. It is Americana. (I remember Stanton's description of a lonely mallard looking for a mate and the swoosh of the wings). It all reminds you of Anglo-Saxon/Scottish back-country poetry.
1 member likes this
#598151 Jun 13th a 02:43 PM
by DAM16SXS
DAM16SXS
A good friend and I were planning a two week trip to Alaska last week of June and first week of July for salmon and trout fishing. We spent a few months prior tying flies for the trip and just before we were to depart he said he'd be bringing a couple of spinning rods as backups. I told him he would never become proficient at flyfishing if he continued to fall back on spinning gear. He finally relented to my insistence and left his spinning gear home.

He is a very proficient flyfisher today.
1 member likes this
#598139 Jun 13th a 02:07 AM
by Tom Findrick
Tom Findrick
Originally Posted by oskar
One of my favorite pictures of dad.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Your Dad knew how to wear a fedora.
1 member likes this
#598184 Jun 14th a 01:28 PM
by Dan S. W.
Dan S. W.
GLS, if my toddler daughter wants a brook trout tattoo when she reaches a suitable age, I may offer to pay for it and get a matching one!
1 member likes this
#598252 Jun 15th a 02:13 PM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
DAM16SXS: I vaguely remember that story too, but it's been so-long since I read it I can't remember where (Sex, Death & Flyfishing?). Suffice it to say that amongst other things, he's likely a practitioner of the fine art of shotgunning as well.
1 member likes this
#598256 Jun 15th a 03:46 PM
by FallCreekFan
FallCreekFan
Based on Cahill’s visit to his study/gun room/man cave I’d say there’s no doubt.
1 member likes this
#598237 Jun 15th a 09:57 AM
by GLS
GLS
Originally Posted by Dan S. W.
GLS, if my toddler daughter wants a brook trout tattoo when she reaches a suitable age, I may offer to pay for it and get a matching one!

Dan, after a trip Julia wrote this poem:

I cast and drop the line
In fast black flow,
the brook and rainbow yield to sun
and show,
My father gives the sign

And draws the slender curve
to land his fly
where a gold lip of water pools nearby,
and tugs the river’s wild nerve.

Gil
1 member likes this
#598182 Jun 14th a 01:09 PM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
If you appreciate wry, dry humor and a sense of irony, this is your guy. I suspect that John owns a doublegun or two (from past stories he's written) but his focus is clearly on fishing. His affinity for bamboo rods and his articles on the subject (& one whole book, "Fishing Bamboo") got me started down that road long ago now. He's cost me alot of money and time over the years (all well-spent IMHO)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

His latest and arguably, his best so-far. His list of books is quite long, so... read at your own risk.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.