March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Licensed to kill), 745 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
DAM16SXS, Glacierjohn, Gr8day, gunut, John E, journeymen, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#595098 04/07/2021 2:09 PM
by gunmaker
gunmaker
SxS’s have no shortage of falsehoods regurgitated over the decades.

Most commonly one comes up during debates between O/U and SxS. It usually goes like this, “O/U are easier to shoot because they only have one sight plane!”. At that point images come to mind of the flaccid Elmer Fudd SxS with two beads at each barrel muzzle.

What others have you heard?
Liked Replies
#595125 Apr 7th a 05:54 PM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Well side by sides do kick, side to side. I use that to get my second shot off quicker. You shoot the barrel which will naturally move your barrels in the direction of the bird. I might be using the wrong barrel first but get my second shot off so quickly, the second shot stream often merges with the first, to create a wall of pellets birds can not get past. Makes my side by side almost into a light speed weapon. I’ll circle back with the fuzzy math when I leave my basement to walk the dog before he bites someone else. wink
2 members like this
#595270 Apr 10th a 02:19 PM
by FelixD
FelixD
You do realize that anyone who shoots a sxs is directly related to the Hatfields and Elmer Fudd. That is unless you wear a flat cap and then you’re just a pretentious snob. The boys with their Benelli blasters, masters of their little universe, wretch at the sight of a sxs as they wax poetically about the latest 3 15/16 oz supreme triple T pterodactyl loads. Those sxs shooters are just such smug little bastards with their lust for little gauges and antique guns. Be careful of them. They’re mostly old. Over 40 at least.
2 members like this
#595114 Apr 7th a 03:31 PM
by gunmaker
gunmaker
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
Sixteen gauge kills like a 12 and kicks like a 20; oh wait, that one is true!...Geo

Now now, follow the rules!

I thought it was “carries like a 20 and kills like a 12”?
1 member likes this
#595133 Apr 7th a 09:54 PM
by gunmaker
gunmaker
Slings on a double will contribute to putting it off-face quicker.
1 member likes this
#595141 Apr 8th a 12:40 AM
by Gr8day
Gr8day
You should ease the shock of closing the barrels by braking the top lever with your thumb.

Actually I don’t know if this is false or true. I’ve heard both.
1 member likes this
#595203 Apr 9th a 11:40 AM
by gunmaker
gunmaker
The other possibility is there is some level of placebo effect, I just enjoy shooting my SxS’s so much!
1 member likes this
#595313 Apr 11th a 12:44 PM
by DoubleTake
DoubleTake
Double triggers are for shooting both barrels at the same time.
1 member likes this
#596607 May 6th a 01:52 PM
by Bob Cash
Bob Cash
"This is the last Side by Side I'm ever going to buy"
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.