April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hal M Hare, 12boreman, Steve Nash, eeb, 1 invisible), 976 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,109
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
ClapperZapper, craigd, nca225, pamtnman, susjwp
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#593812 03/13/2021 10:30 PM
by Run With The Fox
Run With The Fox
Any insights into the current price escalation on shotgun shells, center fire pistol ammo, even .22LR ammo- Recalling a few years ago, when Obama was Potus, the "shortages" on ammo. What are current prices on 12 gauge target ammo, steel shot, coppered turkey loads.?? Our current Wally-Mart is sold out on all ammo- haven't been to Cabela's in Grandville (Grand Rapids Mi area) but rumors in area gun clubs seem to indicate shortages all over. RWTF
Liked Replies
#593817 Mar 14th a 12:05 AM
by eightbore
eightbore
No ammo on the market for the forseeable future. Best thing to do is to watch the obituaries for shooters whose names you recognize and get there first. Assist the widows in cleaning out their basements. Don't mention guns because family members are going after the guns. They know nothing about the ammo.
2 members like this
#593832 Mar 14th a 11:57 AM
by damascus
damascus
I do not know about the supply chains for sporting ammunition components in the US. Though the Czech Republic is a very big player in this field, and at the moment Covid is is taking its toll on manufacturing there.
1 member likes this
#593856 Mar 14th a 05:36 PM
by Chantry
Chantry
Take an election year with a clearly anti-gun party, add COVID impacting the entire manufacturing process, add riots where the police are unable/not allowed to do anything and you get the perfect storm.

We've seen a drastic increase in NICS checks with a lot of new gun owners, all desperate for ammo. Ammo makers can not keep in the production of loaded ammo, so the availability of reloading components is shrinking to the point of non-existence as primers, brass and bullets are being allocated to producing new ammo. Even reloading machines are back ordered and/or out of stock.

Production is focused on the most common calibers, so the annual productions runs of, for example, .30 Mauser, have been postponed indefinitely. Foreign suppliers (Italy & Brazil) are being hit even harder by COVID than the U.S. so there is minimal help from those producers.

Basspro/Cabela's should be a good predictor of what the future will hold. Yes their prices have gone up, but only by a little. Cases of Herters 12g has gone up by maybe $5 and the price for 50 rounds of 9mm has gone up maybe $1-$2, which is reasonable given the increased costs to ammo companies in just overtime for the workers.

As to who is shooting, I go through a case of 12g every 4-5 weeks shooting skeet and I see plenty of others shooting about the same amount. So when we do see ammo at Cabelas we tend to buy as much as allowed because we don't know when we will see it in stock again.
1 member likes this
#593842 Mar 14th a 02:59 PM
by dogon
dogon
The only solution to this is for everyone to quit panic buying!!! We shooters are the ones causing this!! This shortage isn't created by the government or the manufacturers, it's just simple supply & demand economics where the supply shortage is created out of unsubstantiated fear panic buying. There's no one to blame for this other than the man in the mirror, if he's one of those participating in this panic buying insanity.

The other crazy market right now that's close to this craziness is lumber. Have you priced dimensional lumber or plywood lately? This isn't a good time to take on a major building project when a $2.00 2" X 4" stud is now close to ten bucks & a sheet of 1/2" OSB is pushing thirty bucks and that's only if you can find decent quality supplies.
1 member likes this
#593827 Mar 14th a 02:26 AM
by Nudge
Nudge
It's definitely the end of 8,000 calibers, most of whch are only deminimus improvements over 30-06, 270, 30-30, etc.

Wont be able to give away guns in 7SAUM and the like. No ammo, scarce components. Rebarrel to 270.

NDG
1 member likes this
#593830 Mar 14th a 07:00 AM
by keith
keith
I went to a gun show in eastern Ohio today and saw plenty of ammo. But most of it was priced very high, with bricks of .22 LR at $100.00 to $130.00, and common handgun ammo like .380 and 9 mm at near a dollar a round. Lots of various gunpowder was being sold, with $24 .00 to 30.00 per pound prices. Primers were $80 to $100 per thousand. I saw cases of 12 ga. Federal field loads priced at $100.00 per 250 rounds. I did find several 20 round boxes of 7.62 x 39 at $5.00 a box, and bought it.since I don't expect to find it any cheaper until Biden is impeached or arrested for his part in the coup.

I bought a nice little engraved antique percussion pocket pistol with a broken hammer nose for $40.00. It looks to be about .40 cal. It was too cheap to leave behind. The best double gun in the whole joint was a very nice hammer Belgian Bayard priced at only $120.00, and someone bought it fairly quick.
1 member likes this
#593829 Mar 14th a 03:33 AM
by Replacement
Replacement
My friends used to laugh at me for accumulating what seemed like a lifetime supply of ammo. Not so funny now.
1 member likes this
#593905 Mar 15th a 12:47 AM
by Replacement
Replacement
The federal agenda to control guns and ammo mirrors almost exactly the program we saw in California when Harris was the state's AG. I have been warning you guys for years that the CA BS was coming to you, and now it's almost on your doorstep. Be afraid. Be very afraid. And fight it with everything you can muster. I'm so pissed, I can't see straight.
1 member likes this
#593892 Mar 14th a 11:10 PM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by nca225
Originally Posted by dogon
The only solution to this is for everyone to quit panic buying!!! We shooters are the ones causing this!! This shortage isn't created by the government or the manufacturers, it's just simple supply & demand economics where the supply shortage is created out of unsubstantiated fear panic buying. There's no one to blame for this other than the man in the mirror, if he's one of those participating in this panic buying insanity.

The other crazy market right now that's close to this craziness is lumber. Have you priced dimensional lumber or plywood lately? This isn't a good time to take on a major building project when a $2.00 2" X 4" stud is now close to ten bucks & a sheet of 1/2" OSB is pushing thirty bucks and that's only if you can find decent quality supplies.

This guy is right. Gun owners are often their own worst enemy.

No. You are wrong. We got exactly what we were promised from the winner of the election, starting with the prices of energy. Literally, his first move was throwing unionized pipe trade workers, who were encouraged to support him, under the bus.

The guns and ammunition thing would have happened whether there was COVID19 nonsense, or, not under this administration.

They promised it.

Wanna’ wager on whether Biden completes his term? Not a prayer.

I’ll take that bet.

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.