April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (WJW), 383 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
builder, Geo. Newbern, Glacierjohn, John E, susjwp
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by campero
campero
Jonny Carter talks with Gregg Elliott about this:

Are 'British guns better than American guns?

Regards!
Liked Replies
by topgun
topgun
OK, who makes the best vehicle; Ford or Chevy? Sounds like this discussion has become equivalent to that pointless kind of argument. Personally I don't care which countries gun is considered the "best; and although I do own one beautiful old British gun, my personal tastes are for what would be considered the better American double guns. No good reason, I just do; but I had no trouble killing game or smashing clays with my English gun or any of the American guns I've owned. And although I do believe most British guns are much finer finished internally than their American counterparts, it's my opinion that even the least expensive American made Parker, Smith, Fox, Ithaca, Baker, etc. double gun was as rugged and reliable as any other double gun; and so effective that the game bird populations of the US were nearly wiped out by the turn of the last century. Most of that destruction was performed with American made guns as few period American shooters could afford imported English guns. There's little wonder that many survivors have cracked stocks, and other issues given the use and abuse that most received. The overwhelming majority of American made double guns were a maker's lowest grade, and least expensive gun; they were purchased mostly as tools, and treated in that manner. The cheap British "game keepers" guns I've seen fared no better. When it comes to quality American made double guns, based on the research I've done with the few surviving company records we have available, the number of high grade guns produced ($200 and up) is tiny; and less than 1% of total production by any maker. Inexpensive guns keep the doors to these old companies open, and I for one am glad we still have them to enjoy.
4 members like this
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
This has been thoroughly hashed (and by better men on the subject than I) but... here's my 2 cents. Better in my orbit (upland game hunting) means clearly different things. Weight, fit, function, and dependability seem to lead the pack of considerations. Art of execution is also a significant consideration, but it comes behind the others. Affordability is also a major component, and may arguably be the first. I've seen several guns over the years that I coveted because I knew, almost innately, that they would be excellent bird guns but....they were clearly out of reach of my financial capacity at the time. While I could probably now afford to pursue some of them, I wouldn't because I've solved the equation with arguably lesser guns. I would have liked to of owned some of the "classic" American versions of what I was looking for (Fox, Lefever, Smith, Parker, etc.) but the numbers of guns made here that would of fit my needs were and are very few, and their prices reflect that reality. In the end, I settled on English guns, specifically pre-WWII boxlock doubles, to meet my primary needs. Does that make them better guns? Arguably yes, but only from my rather narrow perspective.
1 member likes this
by SKB
SKB
It comes down to the the type of hunting/shooting you do and personal prefference. When I started getting a bit more serious about shooting SxS's I bought several American guns, mostly Fox and Ithaca guns, both 12 bore and small bores guns. I found they pretty much all had too much drop for me and the 12 bores were way too heavy for my type of hunting. I found that British 12 bore guns seem to be about perfect for me. I toyed around with early hammerless sidelock designs and quickly learned that while these guns were quite interesting, they usually had design flaws that made maintaining them a real project. I soon moved to mored standarized designs, mainly boxlocks which proved to be much more reliable and the later guns could even often could be had with stock domensions that worked for me. I shot a Lincoln Jefferies BLNE for years without a hick up, I should never have sold that one. After years of looking I found the Best Gun for ME, a first year H&H Royal self opener that had been stocked as if it was built for me. My Holland has 29" tubes and comes in at 6lbs 9ozs which is about perfect for me. It was not an inexspensive gun but it was a good buy and it will be the very last gun I part with. Shoot what you like, for me nothing beats wild prairie birds taken over my dogs with my Holland.

My first crew of Springers and I, a good day in SD with the Holland.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
1 member likes this
by Nudge
Nudge
Well, it isnt very refined, but I absolutely treasure my late 1930's Savage 219. I have most of the barrels you could get:

.30-30
.22 Hornet
12 ga
16 ga
20 ga
.410 ga

It isnt fancy, but it's slam tight reliable, and my favorite rifle in a tight stand and shot inside of 75 with 30-30. The Hornet has a 1950's Weaver KV on it, and shoots incredibly tight groups. It's aces on PA turkey across fields a shotgun wont bridge.

The pre-war 219's are the very best of them, and I have seen a couple that owners have restocked with Circassian wood and had finely engraved.

NDG
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.