March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (battle, eightbore, GeorgeGibbs505, j7l2, 2 invisible), 865 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
DAM16SXS, Drew Hause, FallCreekFan, Hammergun, John Roberts, pamtnman, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Joe Wood
Joe Wood
Ran across this recent article from Guns & Ammo. At first I was circling misstatements but before long my pen ran out of ink so I quit. See what you find m

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/should-you-shoot-old-damascus-barreled-shotgun/388460
Liked Replies
by JBLondon
JBLondon
uh-oh. All have been professionally checked out and conscientiously loaded for. If you have a number of them then no single gun will get worn out. That's one theory.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
4 members like this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by damascus
Here was me thinking all the doom and gloom South Sayers had given up on this subject. They seem to have stopped on this side of the pond after a large number of gun users sort of fought back in the 60s & 70s. This dangerous chant was uses by large numbers of gun retailers to aid in the sales of cheap Spanish guns and at the time a lot of very serviceable top maker Damascus barreled guns where scraped. In the end the proof houses said that if a Damascus barreled gun was in sound usable condition and IN PROOF it was safe to use Cartridges of the correct chamber length and shot load. Unfortunately you folks do not have that luxury, so this scare story will be hauled out and polished up with regular monotony to see who will believe it.

Unfortunately? ........ hardly. You're happy with what you've got on your side of the pond, we're happy with one less foot on our neck over here.

Tell me this, if the proof house is such a bastion of reasonable thinking, and so reputable, over there why did your gun users have to "sort of fight back" in the 60s and 70s? All the proof house did was restate the obvious. Maybe they aren't so believable over there after all? Or, do you just have that many unscrupulous gun dealers there?

SRH
1 member likes this
by damascus
damascus
Here was me thinking all the doom and gloom South Sayers had given up on this subject. They seem to have stopped on this side of the pond after a large number of gun users sort of fought back in the 60s & 70s. This dangerous chant was uses by large numbers of gun retailers to aid in the sales of cheap Spanish guns and at the time a lot of very serviceable top maker Damascus barreled guns where scraped. In the end the proof houses said that if a Damascus barreled gun was in sound usable condition and IN PROOF it was safe to use Cartridges of the correct chamber length and shot load. Unfortunately you folks do not have that luxury, so this scare story will be hauled out and polished up with regular monotony to see who will believe it.
1 member likes this
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
We're more than a bit OT, I slept on it, but couldn't stifle the need to address UK vs. US COVID vaccinations
The data is a few days old:
UK with 66.65M population has given about 15M shots
US with 331M population has given about 60M shots
Arizona with 7.3M has given 1M shots
(BTW: Yuma had the highest PCR positivity rate per capita in the WORLD about 6 weeks ago. Things are much better in AZ now, but the disease and death rate on the Navajo Nation per capita has been the highest in the US since the start of the pandemic)
And the recent 100 years storm has significantly slowed delivery of vaccine, and the US is geographically a big country.

Because of the limited supply, the US prioritized first responders, heath care workers, the elderly and most vulnerable.

As of last week, 95% of those in England > 70 y/o have received the vaccine.
SOMEONE in the British Govt. however decided some lives were not worth "wasting" vaccinations (and ventilators) upon
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...d-19-patients-with-learning-difficulties

That said, there has been a reluctance to be vaccinated among the young and healthy for a disease with a survival rate > 99% and in which >80% of deaths have been among those > 65 years old; >30% above 85.

Comparing the quality of heath care in the UK under the NHS and that in the US (and the ethics of rationing health care ie. who gets to decide?) is entirely another matter. But the principle IS relevant to who gets to decide which guns are "good" and which are "bad"?
At Stan's advanced age wink and having spent > 5 minutes under water, he may have been denied ICU care in the UK after his near drowning.
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by Drew Hause
At Stan's advanced age wink and having spent > 5 minutes under water, he may have been denied ICU care in the UK after his near drowning.

laugh laugh grin

Though I am quite glad to be an American citizen, after having consulted with my GP, my wife and I are not going to take the vaccine at this time. Too many unanswered questions in our minds. The doc told me that he would ordinarily tell a patient whose lungs had been stressed like mine were to take the vaccine (underwater 8+ minutes and raging infections from E.Coli and two other bad bacteria for several days). But, he said my lungs sounded perfect, and concurred that we could decide for ourselves about the vaccine. We talked at length about Ivermectin, and other stuff. Then, he scolded me about my blood pressure and asked if I was still jumping rope for exercise. I said that I had not resumed after my recovery. He said I have one month to prove to him I could get my b.p. back down with exercise. In two weeks I'm up to 120 per day now, in two sets of 60, and increasing that amount almost daily. I jump twice between each rope revolution, so I get a quick heavy cardio workout. B.p. is already down to 139/80, still getting lower, and my lung capacity is steadily increasing. I feel like a million $.

Praise His name.

SRH
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.