Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
HomelessjOe
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Chuck H
Chuck H
I finished my gunmaker apprenticeship project. Maybe I can graduate to "gunmaker"now???

A little fun here. Probably verboten with the rules. But it's a single shot and dare I say; a fine gun. So maybe the moderators, that are allowing all the other BS that goes on this site now, will allow this little diversion.

About 5-6 weeks ago, I made a kind of a test mule for a pneumatic tennis ball launcher. I was just testing the concept and it was a crude setup of a pipe of the right size an irrigation valve and a small fire extinguisher tank, all in a straight line. With a 100 psi, it launched a ball down the street pretty far and more importantly, with great finess. My plan was to make a double tennis ball launcher.

Well, the best laid plans... The neighbors were down for our little daily happy hour and dog playdate. The wife, husband and daughter all shot it and were thrilled. Later the wife asked if I could make a bespoke piece for her husband as she was at a loss as to what to give him for Christmas. I figured 'what the heck' sure I'd build one. Something simple and quick. That was what? 5-6 weeks ago? I think I have a time card at my friend's shop now. They start at 6 a.m.. I made that starting time exactly zero times. Somewhere around 8 to 10 am is my comfort time.

The design evolved over the first few weeks and kinda jelled into this O/U design. Somewhere along the path, the client changed from tennis ball caliber to small potato and assorted veggie caliber.

These pictures show it "in the white" as it is now. The "client" was shown the fully assembled article for the first time tonight. Originally, I was "contracted" to just make it and she would finish it in a flat dark earth rattle can finish. But when shown it, she was so taken with the machined and fabricated finish that she wanted it to show. So, we're currently undecided on "in the white" or a chromic anodize color.

Enjoy.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/KWZtgUQ.jpg?1[/img]

[img]https://imgur.com/a/2dADVwy[/img]
Liked Replies
by Run With The Fox
Run With The Fox
Nice work- what analysis Stainless steel did you use. Tig welds, right? OK- a tennis ball has the same dia= ball after ball-etc. But small potatoes are not uniform in dia, density, weight, etc. so how do you establish a MBD factor to allow for that?? Just wondering is all. RWTF
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.