January
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (DaveB), 83 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics36,553
Posts513,279
Members14,124
Most Online462
Aug 5th, 2016
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Brittany Man, Hammergun, Hoot4570, LRF, mc, PhysDoc, Vall
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#580048 09/16/2020 8:58 PM
by LRF
LRF
This is Dutch Mannlicher M1895 made by Steyr in 1896. Just starting and will probably take better part of the coming year. (A new barrel from Kreiger will take 4-5 months itself). Many proposed changes like new bolt handle, change to 7x57 rimmed, all new sights (front, 3-4 leaf express, and a new design for a peep sight similar to the Lyman 36 which I will make), I hope to modify the magazine system to a detachable 5 shot magazine, double set triggers, and of course a new stock. Its a tall order and I expect this list to be dynamic as this project is just for me and my wants.
Liked Replies
#600977 Aug 6th a 04:15 PM
by LRF
LRF
A little more progress. The front sight base is mostly done now and I attached a few pics. I still have to make the sight blade, stipple the ramp, final polish, and then of course solder to the barrel.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
3 members like this
#609546 Jan 15th a 10:04 PM
by LRF
LRF
Yes I am working on it.
Shaping the stock. Its been very cold here and I don't like spending a lot of money on the "inflated cost" (thanks Biden) of natural gas to heat the shop. LOL
Also I bought myself an English made Jones type action double rifle in 450 3 1/4" BPE. I have been spending time getting ready to shoot it as soon as it warms up. I made a paper patch mold for it. Should be fun.

I'll post pictures once I am a little further along with the stock shaping work.
2 members like this
#589790 Jan 11th a 07:55 PM
by LRF
LRF
Wel got the bottom metal inletting finished this morning. Now hoping the barrel comes as promised.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
1 member likes this
#590429 Jan 21st a 04:21 PM
by LRF
LRF
As I a wait for word when the barrel will be ready and ship I worked on inletting the trigger guard. It had its challenges but I believe I resolved them and its done for now until stock shaping time is upon me.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
1 member likes this
#595113 Apr 7th a 03:30 PM
by LRF
LRF
Originally Posted by Jim Kobe
If I could be so bold, why taper bore it and not just turn the barrel? I assume you will solder it in place?

You can do it that way but since I have the equipment to taper the mount I chose to do it with that equipment. I will also use the setup to make the front sling attachment and front sight band.
1 member likes this
#598548 Jun 22nd a 02:05 PM
by LRF
LRF
I guess it has been sometime since I posted, sorry. Number of reasons for that. First spring has been almost unbearably hot here in Minnesota, high 90's and a couple +100 days, and as dry as a popcorn fart. We are in trouble for the lands of 10000 lakes. Second I has had some health concerns with a bunch of testing which so far has all been negative but it takes a toll on your mental condition. Right now its a strained knee, not related to the testing, but that really hurts. Fell while Turkey hunting on Memorial days. Last, lots going on with the grandkids and their parents which will include a week of dog setting starting later this week.
Anyway I haven't been totally idle:
1. I decided to give the engraving of the sight blades over to my friend Roger Sampson and he did a bang up job. I still have to mount them and finish but the engraving is done. smile
2. I worked on the barrel fitting. Got the breech end machined for the ejector/extractor, then screwed in and indexed. Finally I worked on the feed of dummy rounds since I changed from the Dutch round to the 7x57. I had to do some opening of the rails since the new round in slightly bigger just in front of the rim and would get jammed depending on which of the 5 rounds in the clip was up for feeding. A perplexing issue but got it solved.
last I started work of shaping the front sight. I first 3D printed a model of what I want and then just file till they match. Not done yet but getting there. Oh BTW I did finally get my dovetail cutters so I can now finish the sight machining.
1 member likes this
#601133 Aug 9th a 12:48 PM
by mc
mc
Great ,,really enjoy seeing your work
1 member likes this
#602361 Sep 5th a 10:53 PM
by rocky mtn bill
rocky mtn bill
Some of us assemble rifles from components we mostly purchase. This is genuine gunmaking, and it's a treat to see it unfold. Good work, and good on you.
1 member likes this
#604044 Oct 4th a 03:32 PM
by LRF
LRF
"Hope you get back on your feet I enjoy your post"

"I'm sorry for your trouble, I understand very well what you are going through. Try everything you can before they tell you, you are too old. There is not much you can do on a lathe or mill, sitting on a stull, and nothing laying down. You figured all your projects out, you can figure this out too. Hang in there.
Mike"

Thank you mc and Mike for the kind words. Age is a double edged sword, it comes with added issues, however it also comes with added days and hope for the issues being dealt with. smile
1 member likes this
#607609 Dec 8th a 06:42 PM
by LRF
LRF
Got all the solder and heat discolorations polished out. Finishing polish will be done just before rust blueing

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
1 member likes this
#608082 Dec 19th a 04:35 PM
by LRF
LRF
Time for an update. I took the barrel up to the engraver and he is engraving the caliber on it. I have also started the stock work. Lots of wood to remove and a long ways to go. But the project is moving forward.
Here are a couple pics. I suppose the most interesting is you can see the stock is cast off and the toe cast out. The pistol grip will be Price of Wales knob
1 member likes this
#583719 Nov 9th a 02:15 AM
by LRF
LRF
Apparently you missed this statement in my earlier posting, "It will be final finished and elevation and windage hash marks added after testing."
Defined, "elevation and windage hash marks", ie: the venier scales.
And "after testing", means shooting the rifle on the range at known distances so as to calibrate the markings to actual

I hope that answers your question
1 member likes this
#607464 Dec 5th a 02:52 PM
by LRF
LRF
Made progress this weekend however nothing I can take pictures of. On the barrel I have to solder on the rear sight mount, the sling swivel, and the front sight. All 3 wrap around the barrel. Not being an expert at soldering in the least I was able to tin the inside of all 3 attachment and then tin the 3 locations on the barrel. I learned a lot and you get better as I progressed. I am happy with the results if I do say so myself. Now I have to locate all 3 attachment in their proper location and alignment and then sweat them together.

However, that will have to wait a couple of days as I am not yet 100% on the knee and back issues and doing this work listed here has set me back a little. Damn it get old and wore out sucks but I guess I ain't dirt sleeping so cheer up. smile

As soon as I have pictures of something worth showing I will. Thanks for following.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2021 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.