April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, Jimmy W), 410 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Drew Hause, eeb, FallCreekFan, Geo. Newbern, graybeardtmm3, LGF, MattH, pipeliner, Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by gjw
gjw
Hey all, just curious to hear what some people have said to you when they see that your using a SxS?

I have a couple.

When my boys were in Boy Scouts they had an Annual "Troop Shoot". Well, we only shoot SxS's, so the first time they went to the shoot they brought their SxS's. They weren't allowed to shoot them because the "Range Master" said that those old SxS's will blow up using modern ammo. My boy's were using a Browning BSS and an AyA Matador III. So, we had to use someones 870. BTW, there were a few "Safe" O/U's there.

The other one I get is why do you use that old gun, or are they safe to use.

So...what about you folks? Any good stories?

Best,

Greg
Liked Replies
by FallCreekFan
FallCreekFan
I was 20 years old and newly married, going to college in the daytime and working full time at night when my boss invited me to join his Saturday dove hunting group. I didn't own a shotgun and couldn't afford to buy one. I'd always borrowed one from my Dad (usually a 16ga M37) or from one of my grandfathers when we went hunting. When I thanked my boss for the invitation and told him why I couldn't accept he said he didn't have an extra gun but let him "work on it". When the next weekend rolled around he said, "Buy some 20ga shells. I've borrowed a gun for you." When we got to the dove fields, he opened the trunk, and handed me a SxS (a 311 as best I remember). I'd never had a double in my hands but as soon as I loaded it I looked up to a dove screaming straight in. Without thinking, I swung up through the bird and dropped him right in front of the group. I certainly didn't say a word and neither did they but they looked at each other and I looked at the double. "What is this magic gun?"

There have been a lot of doubles that have come into this happy home since that fine day and the "magic" hasn't dimmed. Momma still doesn't understand the attraction but "humors" me. In fact, I rolled the roadster out this morning and took her to her favorite restaurant to celebrate our 53rd anniversary.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
7 members like this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
My first duck hunt in AR was a freebie, paid for by a seed company I did business with. I'd never shot steel in my life. I took a 26" barreled BSS choked IC and M. When we loaded up in the back of a pickup that first morning at the Hartz
Seed Co. lodge outside of Stuttgart I was the only one out of six not carrying a SBE or a long barreled O/U. One guy looked at my little double and said "You going to use that?

Six of us in the blind, I thought, as we waited for shooting light. How am I going to know if I actually killed a duck with 5 others shooting? I figured that only if I beat them to the draw would I know for sure. I decided to not shoot on the first flight that came in, so that I could observe how they came in, how things went in general. They blasted away at them killed two to three, and looked around at me still sitting down. "Why didn't you shoot?", they said. I answered that I thought there would be plenty more chances. I noticed that they came in from my end of the blind, and hoped the next bunch would. They did. I had my feet set properly to stand and take one short step while mounting my gun, my trigger finger alongside the trigger guard and my thumb on the safety. At the guides' call to "Kill 'em!" I jumped to my feet, dishragged a drake, then killed closest duck to him. I had two dead ducks in the air before anybody else got off a shot. The rest of the morning went like that. Nobody said another word about my little gun.

SRH
1 member likes this
by Stallones
Stallones
I WAS AT A CHARITY SHOOT A COUPLE YEARS AGO AND SHOT ONE OF THE HIGH SCORES WITH MY 1873 VINTAGE STEPHEN GRANT HAMMERGUN. AS I WAS ACCEPTING ONE OF THE TROPHIES, I HEARD SOMEONE SAY " LOOK AT THAT OLD GUN HE IS USING, "IT LOOKS LIKE IT CAME OVER ON THE MAYFLOWER!
1 member likes this
by eeb
eeb
There are lots of very smart people on this board, just ask them.
1 member likes this
by dukxdog
dukxdog
I have helped and instigated several guys who come to my house in South Dakota for pheasant hunting to add at least one SXS to their battery.

I only shoot SXS guns unless it's raining or snowing that day. I pretty much bring 3 roosters back to the house each day. That gets guy's attention and prompts some interest.

We have some "show your sxs nights" each week if there are a few sxs shooters there. We all enjoy that.
1 member likes this
by John Roberts
John Roberts
I have no idea why I didn't comment on this thread way back in 2020, but to the op's question:

"what kinda ol' dubbabaarl is that you shootin'?"
JR
1 member likes this
by Fudd
Fudd
Originally Posted by FallCreekFan
I was 20 years old and newly married...

Nice little story, sir, and well-told. And may you and your Lady dine ad infinitum.
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Happy 53rd, FCF. Well done.

Most of the guys I hunt with are used to seeing me with S X Ss. Generally, before a dove shoot starts, they will walk up and ask what I'm shooting today. I hand them the double, tell them what it is, and they will usually ask how old it is. When I tell them the year some of them were built they look incredulous.

In a duck blind they will ask, sooner or later, "Is that 'Bo Whoop' ?", in reference to my big Super Fox.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.