April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Vol423, Sun Dog, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 392 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,793
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Tom Findrick
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#553558 08/29/2019 3:37 AM
by jstamper
jstamper
Hello everyone, Im a new member, and Ive recently just picked up a vintage Wm. Moore & Grey at a local rural gun shop. I dont have a ton of expertise with doubles (my first gun as a boy, which I still have and now my son shoots, was a .410 Boito Brazilian SxS, marked Kmart on the barrel, but I suppose that hardly counts, lol.), and I couldnt really determine a value for the Moore, I just couldnt pass it up.

It was the first English double I had actually seen in person and handled, though from boyhood I have admired them in magazines, etc., and the lines/aesthetics appeal strongly to me. I build a few flintlock longrifles, so I especially appreciated the hand engraving and unbelievable wood/metal fit (especially in the forearm, it looks like the metal was melted and poured into the mortise...). The gun has obviously seen a lot of use, but I was most interested in it as a hunter, anyway.

So, I offloaded a plastic-stocked .308 I didnt need anymore, added some cash, and took the Wm. Moore & Grey home.

According to my research, this gun was made between 1904 and 1917. It has the Craven St., London address on the rib. It has London proof marks, but also a later (post-1954) Birmingham proof. I assume therefore it was reproofed. I cant make out the letter in the crossed-swords Birmingham date code. It is nitro proofed for 2-1/2, 1-1/8 oz, 3 ton. Only the left barrel was marked Choke. Based purely on measuring the muzzle diameter vs. the bore diameter proof marks, I think its choked roughly IC/Mod. Barrels are 29-7/8.

It locks up the tight as a drum, and the solder appears to be good (the barrels ring like a bell when flicked). It does fire/function fine.

But, there are several scuffs/dings, especially in the buttstock, most or all of which are filled by a coat of finish. All of the screw heads have been marred, and there is some erosion around the striker holes. I was told that the barrels looked like they had been reblacked, but I do not know what to look for to confirm this. The trigger guard tang has a fingernail joint in it (which is unbelievably well-fit), which leads me to believe that it perhaps may have been broken at one time, and so perhaps this isnt the original buttstock.

More importantly, it fits me like a glove and points like my index finger.

Now for my questions, for those who have hung in this long...

Does my research seem correct?

And, of course, what is it worth?
And I mean very approximately.

I was feeling very good about the purchase, until I took it to a dealer with some alleged expertise for an appraisal. He contradicted some of my research, and said that given the condition, it was worth about $450.

Im trying to tell myself that even if he is correct it doesnt matter because I am happy with the gun for my own use, and it was a once-in-a-blue-moon opportunity for a piece of functional art that had a soul and story. But, I would feel better if I knew it was worth at least somewhat more than that.

I will attempt to post some pics in the comments.

Thanks!
Jonathan
Liked Replies
#553576 Aug 29th a 02:38 PM
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Beautiful gun. It is worth a good bit more than $450. Quite a bit more.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.