April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ted Schefelbein, Bob Jurewicz, Fudd), 1,035 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,275
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Argo44
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by crossedchisles
crossedchisles
We have a Single Bbl. Built in Portland Maine. The Owner would like to Shoot it. Any Loading Data etc.would be well recieved. Thank You.( McI refuses to be 'The Guinea Pig") CC
Liked Replies
by NTaxiarchis
NTaxiarchis
Originally Posted by Jerry G
Hello Crossedchisles,
I now own the Gilbert Bailey, Portland Maine 4 gauge gun that was discussed as a 2 gauge June 16, 2007 & would like to find out more its history. It was sold to me 12/10/2023 & previously sold in 2015.
Thank you for your help.
Jerry

Your 4 bore is a different gun than the one originally discussed. The Bailey 2 bore belongs to the uncle of a friend of mine. The uncle is/was a plumber who found the gun leaning against the wall in the basement of a house he was working in, along with a higher grade Lefever (as I recall) 8 bore double. he asked the homeowner what to do with the guns as they were perched where the work was to be done. The reply was "If you want them take them".

My dad and I went to see the Bailey gun and as David T. described it's a brass action single shot. I thought possibly a rebarrelled line throwing or harpoon gun or some such. 36" barrel if I'm remembering correctly. Measuring across the muzzle showed about 1.25". Very cool piece. Very plain but in nice shape. The owner was not interested in selling.

The story about the gun was that it was made for a ships Captain to shoot sea ducks off of South Portland. There are actually two identical guns. The first was delivered to the Captain and the first time he fired it he was knocked overboard and lost the gun to the deep. So he had another one made. The owner eventually had some cases turned out on a lathe. I don't know if he ever shot it. I took pictures to show David and gather what info he had if any. If I can find the pictures I'll try to post them. No promises as that was about 4 computers ago.

If anyone here is a diver looking for an adventure, there's another one supposedly sitting on the bottom off Willard Beach.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.