Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
CJF, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#337129 09/07/2013 2:53 PM
by bonny
bonny
Can anyone tell me anything about S. Wright and Sons gunmakers of birmingham ? From searching on here i know they were associated with Churchills. They seem to have been makers to the trade rather than makers under their own name, correct ? I have a George HInton boxlock , one of a pair, that someone mentioned to me was probabily made by S. Wright.
Liked Replies
#337143 Sep 7th a 04:34 PM
by Roy Hebbes
Roy Hebbes
The history of S. Wright & Sons, Birmingham,is detailed in the book ,"The House of Churchill" by the late Don Masters.[Pages 278-286]The Business was started immediately after WW1 by Sam Wright.The firm made best quality box lock and side lock guns for for the London and provincial trade.London customers included; Holland & Holland ,"The Northwood" and Churchill the "Regal."
Other customers listed in Wrights ledgers included; Hollis, Gallyon, Hinton, Radcliffe, Jeffrey, Dickson ,Hillsdon Rodda, Bland, To name but a few!

In 1960 the business was sold to Interarmco[U.K.] The parent company of Cogswell & Harrison and Churchill.The Wright business ceased making guns for the trade in the circa 1972.After this date the business focused on making the complete range of Churchill box lock guns. I have many memories of Wrights having visited their shop on several occasions ,once to observe Don Masters test boring barrels using the old spill boring method. For the past 40 years my hunting gun of choice has been a best quality 12G box lock ejector was made by Wrights, but bearing the name, K.D.Radcliffe.
The Churchill book contains one of the BEST post WW2 descriptions of the Birmingham gun trade that exists. Many pictures of familiar names are seen in the book, for example, Kirk Merrington, who at the time of the photo was working as a trainee barrel filer at Churchills.
1 member likes this
#613383 Apr 2nd a 06:35 PM
by SKB
SKB
I picked up the gun at Holt's. I will let you know how it looks when it comes in.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.