Originally Posted by Tamid
I've been using a MEC 600JR for well over 20 years. I have an auto primer feeder, plastic drop tubes and use the adjustable charge bar. It is grounded in a shallow wooden box screwed down to wooden table. And only use black powder or pyrodex. I have never seen any static electricity on any of my equipment. Have to wonder if this is all just a load of BS as I have never heard of a gun room going up in flames due to static electricity and black powder.

Black powder in granular form will not be ignited by static electricity. It is much too coarse. However, static electricity can ignite flammable gasses, fumes, and fine dust, including both black and smokeless powder dust. OSHA requires grounding straps to be installed on drums of flammable solvents and on fireproof chemical storage lockers. I would bet that companies that load large amounts of black powder ammunition have a static electricity grounding system on their equipment, and hopefully are aware of the hazards of dust build-up over time. For the rest of us, normal precautions for handling black powder are sufficient.

https://bulkinside.com/bulk-solids-...ion-during-powder-processing-operations/

A local fireworks manufacturer had an explosion in one of his plants a number of years ago that was blamed on static electricity igniting an accumulation of fine dust. Static electricity has caused fires and explosions in paint booths, and an accumulation of static charge is said to be the cause of the hydrogen filled Hindenberg dirigible. A quick Google search will give you results for many explosions of dusts and flammable substances that were caused by static electricity. But even 4Fg priming powder is much coarser than fine dust. I just grind 2Fg or3Fg in small amounts to make priming powder for my flintlock. A plastic screwdriver handle and an old ceramic ashtray make a good non-sparking mortar and pestle. No issues so far.