During my enforced convalescence here, I've recently focused on the long-term hunting and fishing options in Michigan's Upper-Peninsula. Two towns have drawn my attention, Marquette and Escanaba.

I've idly looked for years for a place that has both wingshooting and fly fishing for trout (alng with decent healthcare and cultural options) and sadly, none of the now-obvious destinations are attractive to me at this point. It strikes me the "U.P." might offer some options that I hadn't considered. Colorado is still working actively to drive me away (fishing and hunting options here are dwindling IMHO, and my politics are all-wrong for continued life here going forward). Anyway, it helps to look-forward to whatever the next adventure might be (and my bride is a cold-weather girl, so no Florida for us).

Depending on the outcome of this next election, all of this may be moot, but it is good to look forward to our "retirement" years. Right off the top of my list of concerns are the winters up there. Colorado has spoiled us with mild winters for 20-plus years now and I wouldn't expect such a break on the south shore of Lake Superior. The politics of Michigan are also mildly concerning, I'm hearing that the "U.P." is quite conservative but... doesn't Detroit really control things up there? We already have our place in Minnesota, which is fine as it is, but there are no trout there and I miss using my bamboo rods for such things.