Mike, I appreciate your, and other's, advice here. The catch is taking that advice and figuring out how to apply it. I may not be doing something quite the way the poster does it, and makes it work for them. When I annealed five cases by turning them with my thumb and finger, in the flame, I tried as hard as I could to do the top third of the case. By the time I got what I thought was an acceptable color change the head of the case would begin heating up to the point that I'd have to quickly drop in in a loading block to keep from being burned. This morning I cleaned the 5 cases of the black powder residue in my ultrasonic cleaner, annealed them again, reprimed them, and loaded them with 8 grs. of Longshot, a 1/4 sheet of toilet paper wad, filled the case almost to the top with grits, then used a plug from a styrofoam cup on top. This was the result.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

As all can see the only thing that expanded was the neck, even though I attempted to anneal a good ways below that. It's no fault of anyone's. It's just incomplete results. I'm learning, and I'm making progress. I'm reading all I can and, as you say, figuring it out for myself with the gracious help of yourself and others. Tomorrow morning I will use the cake pan and water method on five cases, heat until reddish, and quench. Then I will load only one with the Bullseye load AGS suggested and see what happens. Tomorrow I will seal the mouth of the case with a plug of 2mm wax I had ordered and that came today.

I'm putting all this on here in the hope that someday someone else can skip the things I have tried that gave incomplete, or inconsistent, results and go straight to a successful procedure. Again, and I really mean this, thanks to all who have taken of their valuable time to offer suggestions and help. What fun!!!

To be continued ........