Originally Posted by Tamid
I shoot trap at 16yds with an extra full choked Beretta (0.685) If I used spreaders I wonder how much difference that would make on my hit percentage. For grouse in the woods I like a 30" barrel, choked modified or less, sometimes full in the left and mod to open in the right. I don't miss too many unless I'm slow off the starting line. Just not sure what spreaders would achieve in my case.
Last spring, I bought a new Browning BT-99. I had not shot but a few rounds of clay (trap) targets in about 6-8 years. I was really struggling- lucky to break 12-15 at singles. And I was disappointed I didn't do better with the Browning. So I put it back in the safe and pulled out the ol' Ljutic. 9.6 pounds. It took me a while to get my timing back, but I started shooting a lot better. It has a full choke. 33" barrel. Al Ljutic taught people to shoot his guns at the target when it reaches its apex (or the peak of its arch.) That's the way I shoot. I don't shoot at the target when it is on its rise. That way, it makes the target appear to be stationary (unmoving) on your straight aways. Of course, trap shooters stack the beads on their guns because if they shoot at a rising target, they have to stack the beads on the gun. But if I shoot at a target that appears to be sitting still, I have to align the beads rather than stack them. That means the target is going to be out there a lot farther if I wait to shoot at a target when it reaches its peak. But the loads that I use, catch up to the target very quickly. .........I went back last week and pulled out the Browning and had to figure out which choke to use. The gun came with an IM choke, so that is the one I used. Last week I broke my first 25 straight at singles trap in probably a decade. Did you ever get in one of the modes where you felt like you could hit everything with your eyes closed? The second round I broke 23. But I'll stick with the IM choke for now. It works fine at longer distances. Yesterday I faltered and broke 23 & 21. I noticed with the IM choke, I can shoot anywhere around the target within a foot (except for behind it) and the IM choke will break the target. I get tired very quickly. But I'm happy........... Tamid, if you use a full choke, it will make you a lot better shooter. That is what I should be doing. But I am going to keep the open IM choke at singles trap for a little while. Then maybe work my way down to a full choke. Thanks guys. Take care.