Originally Posted by KY Jon
A return policy should never come into use over simple to measure things. If you can not get a measurement of wall thickness do not bid. Why should I pay shipping and insurance both ways, then wait for funds to be refunded? A basic wall thickness measuring tool should cost you a couple hundred bucks at most. Top of the line are $700.00 or more. Cost part of doing business are the tools needed to be in business. A carpenter needs a hammer and air-nailer to work, a gun dealer needs tools to measure chokes and wall thickness.

You can not eyeball thicknesses and it is an important thing to know for real condition, original condition and safe use. I have seen more than one gun which had barrels cleaned up so poorly that they were trash. A mint looking LC Smith almost came home with me last year until I found the barrels had been reamed out until they were .014 about 12" from the breech. The gun had a honest 90% case color and 95% bluing, dealer 99% & 99% but the barrels were paper thin right about where my fingers hang out. I do not buy unless I can measure things anymore. Some dealers do not know and do not want to know facts which might interfere with selling a gun. Those will not measure and may not allow you to measure their guns. So I just wave goodbye to them and count my blessings and fingers.

Your statement “I do not buy unless I can measure anymore”

Don’t you put in bids at auctions? How do you measure guns that you’re bidding on, especially overseas?

I don’t trust dealers measurements a lot of the times….I just brought in a gun and when measured on my tools….the wall thicknesses in both barrels were less than advertised and the bore diameters were also different than what this “respectable” dealer had in the ad. Gun was still in proof and MWT were adequate, so I kept the gun.