GE Lewis circa 1906. Ordered as a light fowling gun (plover, wood pigeons, etc). The 12 bore, 30” Vindex Steel barrels sport a raised flat filed rib, are proofed for 1 1/8 Oz, 2 3/4” chambers, and are choked R- .006 & L- .016, MWT is R-.027 & L- .026, bores are R- .736 & L- .737
Barrels correctly marked in the G.E. Lewis fashion “Gun of the Period”.
Barrel black is at 90+ %.
Anson push rod forend release with steel fancy shaped & engraved forend tip.
Gun weighs approx 7 1/4 lbs.
Ejectors are Deeley box & perfectly timed and strong
Action is robust, with side bolsters, third bite, Greener type lever work. Recent strip & clean and inspection, mechanically excellent!! Pins are in good condition and tight. Action furniture, cover plate, and trigger guard tang and screw has been reblacked. Engraving on the trigger guard tang is getting light, but not too bad.

Wood is good. Buttstock is a replacement done in England many years ago. It’s sound, with good inletting and no cracks. Could use a refinish to try and match the forend wood (original) better. Checkering is worn on buttstock and forend, but pattern is there if a recut is desired.
Dimensions are: 14.5” LOP to a red pad, 1 3/4” dah, 1.5” dac.

Action is marked JA, meaning the action was sourced from Joseph Asbury in Birmingham. Action maker to the trade extrodanaire. It’s of very good quality.

This gun is listed in the GE Lewis records as being ordered by the Trist family in Tristford, Harberton in December 1905 and delivered in 4th of January 1906 for the sum of £38.18.

A nice classic fowling piece, excellent for decoying waterfowl when using bismuth or TM loads. Built by the G.E. Lewis family who was known for their extremely high quality and beautifully finished fowling guns. Gun is tight, on the face, mechanically excellent, and stout. I’ve shot ducks, sharptails and even wild Chukar with this gun. This Lewis would also make a superb pheasant gun.

SOLD

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]