In reading Ted's recent thread, I'm really inspired by his progress and...I'm reminded of my own issues with my own "shooting" eye. Much like Ted, I had a PVD episode (posterior vitreous detachment) early last spring (described quite-aptly as a lightening storm in the far-corner of one's eye), but unlike his episode...mine didn't produce the "dark curtain" effect of a torn optic-nerve connection. I'm finding it a fairly-common "old guy" complaint when discussing it amongst peers and I'm also finding the side effects are also nearly as common. The detachment caused debris and some minor-bleeding to become suspended in the vitreous humor of the eye. The net effect of all that is an inconsistent "clouding" of the focus in that eye. Sometimes it's almost normal, but at other times its damned-cloudy. I really noticed it last fall when hunting grouse because I just couldn't focus on the target sometimes at the "critical" moment. Now, I suspect that will only get worse with time, but so-far I seem to be holding my own (I've gone through almost none of what Ted's had to deal with, so I really have nothing to complain about). For more-normal activities it really is nothing; driving, conversation, even watching the idiot box isn't much affected. It's when I'm shooting is where it's most noticeable. I had laser surgery in the Spring of 2000 (to correct severe myopia and bad astigmatism) and it produced a singular improvement for me (well....showering with my wife was more fun after that too) as it made my left eye the dominant eye for the 1st time in my life. My upland shooting improved dramatically because my eye and my gun now lined up for the shot (like Ted, I'm a Southpaw).

So...for what(?) some 21 years I've had a ball chasing birds and casting flies with abandon. When I really focused on a "target" I could see it with alacrity and then respond appropriately. Now...not so much. It does take some of the fun out of things, I'll admit that, but certainly not-enough to cause me to quit. I have heard of different options for resolving this issue (like having the vitreous humor withdrawn from the eye and allowing it to be naturally replaced with new fluid by the body) but... I'm just not there yet. Does anybody here know of other options?