Originally Posted by Southern Sport
Thanks for the replies. Another question; why do some outfits discourage or disallow 12 bore guns? I would think a 2 1/2 inch 1 oz or 7/8 oz low pressure load from one on my English guns would not be overkill. For that matter would it really differ from a 1 oz 20 bore load?

I noticed that also on the huntsouthwind site.

A friend of mine was invited to shoot quail on a private plantation some years ago & showed up w/ his favorite 12 ga SxS grouse gun & 1 oz loads. The host would not allow him shoot the 12 ga w/ 1 oz or any other loads & loaned him a 20 ga Browning Citori O/U supplied w/ 3" 1 1/4 oz loads!

EDIT! Since posting this I had the opportunity to speak w/ the friend that experienced this & I had it slightly wrong.

The correct story is that both my friend & his wife were invited guests at a private plantation shoot & both took their favorite 12 ga grouse guns & 7/8 oz loads. The host allowed the wife to shoot her 12 ga O/U w/ the 7/8 oz loads but would not let my friend shoot his 12 ga SxS w/ 7/8 loads & gave him a 20 ga Browning O/U with 1 oz loads to shoot. My friend said that he mentioned to the host that he was shooting a 1/8 oz payload increase w/ the 1 oz 20 ga ammo but this fell on deaf ears & the host said nothing over 20 ga was the rule on the plantation but he would make an exception for a woman but not for him (Southern chivalry at it's best). His thought was that the host simply viewed anything larger than a 20 ga as unsporting for quail regardless of the amount of shot used.

I'm always amazed by small bore snobbery North or South.