In regard to Kutter's excellent post above (I like the way he says "But I still like the looks"), for the last double rifle I built I made bespoke large ring "eyes" for the butt stock and the barrel to be used exclusively with a leather carry sling/strap that has about 1/4" wide leather strips at each end of the strap to attach to these rings. The advantage of this method of attaching the strap to the double rifle is complete silence (no swivel rattle) and no damage to the wood or barrels during the use of the strap. Of course there is the disadvantage of slow removal of the sling/strap

The leather strap was bespoke made by a oak/leather case maker friend of mine and it's 1/4 inch wide end strips were made long enough for a proper 4-5 loop wrap knot and strong enough for no worry on my part in strap detaching from the rings, made to the exact length I specified without any buckles. I first bought one of the Trade Keith's leather slings but found it to be bulky, cumbersome, too wide and generally unsuitable.

If someone wants to see how the strap appears and the large eyes and how it is attached to the large eyes, you can send me a PM and include your email address--I will then take some photos email them to you and you can post them to this discussion.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell