So, this morning I picked up a shotgun I had bought and had shipped to my local FFL holder, who is Comp-N-Choke, a maker of aftermarket choke tubes. They also happen to do barrel work .......... opening chokes, cutting off barrels to a shorter length and threading for screw in choke tubes, porting, etc. While waiting for my background check to clear I questioned Stuart Boswell, who does the barrel work, about chrome lined bores. Here are his answers. Carbide tools are not required to do work on chrome lined shotgun barrels. The cutting tools just have to be sharp and you have to "go slow". Benelli and Yildiz brands are indeed harder to work than most others, but are manageable. He does a lot of Benellis for people who want their barrel cut down to 20"-21" and threaded for choke tubes, for turkeys, and said he often gets comments from prospective clients that think chrome lined barrels can't be cut, threaded, or ported. Stuart was pretty nonchalant about the whole thing, explaining that it is no big deal to cut, mill, or thread chrome lined barrels, if you know what you're doing. He does scores of barrels a year.