Originally Posted by 9372
Hello Fuhrmann!
Thank you very much!
Bullets type 72U-my friend in Germany has a custom mold made for these bullets. He lives at south west corner near the french border. Maybe he can make some for xou if you like.
Yes, its ex amnesty firearm, so it wasnt registered at the police for who knows how many decades and how many different rounds /9,3x72r and loadings been shot through it. Still is very solid, if I put sheet of paper 0,06mm thick in the action, I cant close the gun. I cant see any real marks at the beginning of the rifling, I guess it was just polished till would accept 9,3x72r cartridge-this is why factory sellier bellot is flying fast from it-668m/s its at the max speed in load data at 2000bar.Here is what I found on the forum: Crown over B denotes proof in the final state. Until the 1912 rules change, the voluntary proof w/ the load data was an additional cost, so it wasn't employed all the time.
I have 1906 drilling were shotgun barrels are nitro proof and rifle one is not. Additional cost of proof kind of explaining it. Tell rifles been made for 40years 1896-1936 and I dont think so they been change appart for safety and také diwn/easy change of barrel Bolt. Been made in 6,5x58r too and there is max pressure I think 2800bar. Sturdy little rifles.
Its just a picture of the ammo box made in Czechoslovakia in Povazske strojárne, in week or two Ill get some rounds from Dorfner and maybe some old Czechoslovakian cartridges, I'll test them and let you know. On the old boxes is marked powder Sm 5, 2,59g with 12,5g bullet.
Here is one BP load from an old catalouges. Says 2,7g BP with 12,3g lead bullet, at 25m =400m/s 102 mkg.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
I read somewhere that original nitro load was cca 1700fps with 12,5g bullet.

Hello 9372

I live in Switzerland near Basel, close to the German border. Your friend may not be far away. I will send you a private message with my address. Much appreciated if you pass it to your friend.

The S&B website says v0 is 611 m/s for 9,3x72R cartridges. I think the same, the chamber probably was reamed or polished until a 9,3x72R cartridge fit it. But no room for leade and proper release of the bullet. Your problem may now be a very wide chamber for the 9,3x57R/360 cartridge.
Good that this rifle is very sturdy!

I have some hunting magazines of the time 1898 till 1912. There was a lot of discussion regarding nitro powders and the "shooting loose of break action guns". Some hunters preferred to stay with black powder - that is why 9,3x72R, 9,3x82R etc were actually developed.

So I understand you have only the pictures in your hand, not the ammo box and cartridges?
Funny thing is that the cartridges are stamped "Egestorff...". A German factory, headstamp was used before WWI.
Beware, old ammunition may be already reloaded, not original from the factory.
Thanks for the data!

fuhrmann