Both rifles would clearly work, but the 7mm is more seemingly adapted to the vastness which defines western hunting. Growing up in the deciduous forests of Pennsylvania had me struggling to adapt to the rigors of hunting in the Western States when I first got here (back in the early 80s). My whole approach had to change, and with time (and a few successes) it did. Now I enjoy the blessings that both offer and would feel deprived if a year passed without either. As much as I like to walk with with a fine shogun, a walk with a good rifle is also very satisfying. The focus is completely different (far versus close) but the net effect is the same. Each is an adventure that is full of possibilities, and each still feels like a stolen moment (a guilty pleasure!). Modern life makes so-many demands upon us, to step out of that world is always refreshing, invigorating, and (at least for me) full of wonder at the natural world. It will be a sad day when I have to put my rifle away for the last time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]