Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
My first love, in a car, was my '56 Chevy two-door 210 sedan, bought when I was 17. Repainted, re-upholstered, carpeted, new headliner and custom hubcaps, with longer rear spring shackles, and glasspacks, it was quite a clean (loud) street machine. Guys loved it. My heart throb hated it, so I dated her often in my Dad's 98 Olds. Next came a new '69 Camaro SS 350/300, Aztec Gold with black hockey puck side stripes and trunk lid spoiler. Girl friend liked it much better. Married her in Nov. '71. In the "family way" by the spring of '73, she'd have to drive 50 miles to her gynecologist during the hot summer months of that year for check-ups and the "Cameo" had no a/c, so wifey lost any love for it, too. First son born that October. Cameo was traded off for a (lowered compression) '73 Chevelle Laguna S3 eventually, but hey, it had a/c and it was quiet!

I could care less what happened to that '73 Chevelle, but I miss the '56 Chevy and the '69 Camaro SS every day of my life. Wife and I have made it in marriage for 51 years. Looking back, I made the right decisions ......... but I DO miss those two cars.

Stan, my '67 Camaro RS/SS was also Aztec Gold. No spoiler though the roof did come down. My girlfriend at the time didn't think much of it until I stopped one day at a store in a strip mall. This was about 1980 and a nice summer day so the roof was down. Ran in to pick something up while she waited in the car. When I came out the car was surrounded by about 5-6 guys but they were ogling the car, not my girlfriend. When we drove away she said " I still don't get the car but I guess you know what you are doing.....those guys wouldn't stop asking me questions about this stupid car!" LOL I think she was a bit peeved she wasn't the object of admiration.