Few have addressed Mr. Tim Hanrahan's question about the worth of this superb 20 gauge long-barreled single trigger side x side shotgun in nearly original condition with its original case (that is worth alone US$1,500.00) made in Europe during the time when metal working and wood working perfection was the standard.

First I want to say to Mr. Hanrahan that the today in America and Great Britain is one of the worst times to sell a gun--it is a buyers time; and that the ultimate value of your gun could be several times greater if when and where you sell it that you sell it matters a great deal. And more specific to the details of the decoration of your gun and its quality workmanship areas of the world to sell it that would warrant much attention and amount offered that come to my mind are of course Germany and Austria; Cape Town, South Africa (because of the wealthy Germans who have moved there) and Saudi Arabia and adjoining countries. Saudi Arabia and adjoining countries because of the "desert fox" engraving motif on the left side of the action).

Fortunately this gun only a few screws turned out of its original alignment from the makers and only one place on the knuckle end of the fore-end wood that was not done by the original stockmaker and further except for the noted carving on the fore-end wood was entirely made in Europe.

Several things about this gun need to be known further to enhance its value and promotion for sale and those are the balance and weight of the gun, the barrel bore condition, its current chamber length in regards to its original proof marks, the overall condition of the barrels along their full length and so forth; and does the single trigger mechanism work properly. Many on this website do not like a side x side shotgun with a single trigger, but a shotgun with a pistol grip stock and a singe trigger that function perfectly is a joy to behold and shoot.

I am not certain that an appraisal by an American of the value of this gun is prudent for you, but instead contacting someone like Wolfgang von Brauchitsch in Germany who sometimes comments in posts on this website (Raimey can give you his email address). A poster has suggested that you contact the German gun collectors and doing that will be a wise thing for you to do.

In the current market of America (and as noted by another poster) this gun will bring between US$5,000-$10,000 but in my opinion will bring 2 times or more that if you choose the proper place to sell it. Keep in mind (and this deserves repeating) that you have a long-barreled 20 gauge side x side shotgun with a single trigger and "best quality" workmanship made during the finest era of Germanic gunmaking that has ever been---and where else have you ever seen another.

KIndest Regards;
Stephen Howell