For hunting I prefer 6 pound guns in the uplands, even in the 12. Much below that I just don't shoot them well. More than 6 1/4 pounds is a bit more than I want to carry at the end of the day.

For clays I have dropped down to 7 pounds to 7.5 pounds as my sweet spot. If I go above that it messes me up for my hunting guns. And as I get older it seems to take more "work" to get those big pigs moving for the second shot in tight windows.

I shot a grouse this year with sustained lead through tall pines as it was quartering away from me, typical gray ghost steak but I had good glimpses of it. I did miss it however.

Many of my shots at grouse are typical shoot the streak and swing through but not all of them. I hunt a flusher and even though the dog on the ground the most this year just turned 2 I could usually tell when he was birdy and was prepared. Have been hunting ruff for more than 50 years now.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

6 pound 16 ga. Iside is my go to grouse gun. And all around gun for hunting although have more than a few others in the 6 pound range.

Originally Posted by Bruce Bernacki
Look at the Rizzini BR110 in 28 gauge. 6.1 pounds in all-steel, 5.7 pounds in alloy frame. Around $2K. The steel BR110 is available in multiple barrel lengths up to 32" on special order (I"m sure that would take a small eternity), the Light Luxe version (alloy) only in 28".

Bruce

My first thought as well. I have two B. Rizzini 12 ga. Vertex, 32" Competition 16 and 20 ga. 32" BR110 Sporter. Obviously my B. Rizzini guns are all clay guns but I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a field Rizzini. Of any type. ~June of next year I will likely do a custom order for a BR552 16\20 combo for hunting they come in at ~6 pounds. In the meantime I use Battista's brother Isidero Rizzini (the I & R in F.A.I.R.) guns for hunting. I am waiting to hear back from the director of Italian Firearms Group in Texas for the total on a custom order 16 ga. Iside with the specs I have given him.

Originally Posted by Researcher
I have "classic" 28-gauges doubles that weigh in the five to five and three quarter pound range, but I shoot a couple of modern 28-gauges in the six and a quarter pound range much better and there is the problem. I have 20-gauges that weigh in the six and a quarter pound range from my 1913 vintage Fox A-grade to my Launch Edition RBL and the 20-gauge can handle a wider variety of loads. So, what is the point of the 28-gauge?

Pretty much the same place I am at, although for the 16 ga. I don't even own a 20 ga. hunting gun. Wait I do have a 20 ga. Ithaca 37 UL in the safe. But haven't shot it in years it is just too light and I don't shoot it well. Many of my friends shoot 28 ga. and have been trying to talk me into one. Just can't bring myself to do it from a logical standpoint. I do have several 20 ga. SxS guns for clays. Because if you are going to give me a 3 or 4 bird handicap for shooting yellow shells I'll take it. Shooting feathers I don't want a handicap, of any kind.