I don't have to load 2 1/2" 12ga anymore, that gun is gone.
But when I occasionally did, I just cut the 2.75 cases to 2.5"
Then loaded them on the regular MEC press (9000G but a 600JR would also work just fine) with the same load as if they were still a 2 3/4" hull.

Once the shot is dropped in and before it's crimped, you place an overshot wad on top of the shot in the hull. Same as if you were going to Roll Crimp.
But now you continue to move the hull to the crimping station just as if it's a 2 3/4" hull. You pre-crimp and then final crimp.
All done.

I think the process is/was called a Hartin Crimp or something like that.

What is left of the shortened to 2 /2" hull still leaves some of the orig crimp length.
That shortened crimp length forms the perimeter of the crimp and some of the 'Star',,but then runs out of Hull as it was cut off 1/4" to start with.
The Over SHot Wad placed on the shot load before crimping fills the center gap much the same as it would in a Roll Crimp.

So you have a 2 1/2" shell, loaded on and with 2 3/4" loader (no adjustments needed for shell height).
The same overshot wad used as you would in Roll Crimping. But no extra step(s) or tools needed to do the actual crimping process.
Just load as if they were normal 2 3/4" shells.