eeb, this gun did not just pass proof. I am sure it was proofed with barrels thicker than .006. Holt's has clearly stated the barrels now are .006 and that it is in fact still in proof and legal for them to sell. How is that possible? Proof does not include a wall thickness determination. The proof house does not measure wall thickness. They give you a yes or no answer to does this gun pass a proof load with out issues.

Perhaps it had a dent that was raised and struck before reblacking. I bet that it was a dent raised which is the root cause instead of honing to death. SO it might be a localized issue but where is the issue. Perhaps it has been reamed out to clean up pits down the bore, but the first 9" still have some metal left so it is still within .009 of what it was proofed. IF the original barrels were .014 and it has been honed until they are now .006 they could still be in proof. Just not anything I want to buy and certainly nothing I wish anyone here to use thinking being in proof means safe to fire. Measure everything and then decide what your level of risk you want to take. A .006" spot an inch from the muzzle might be a judgement call but not one just under your left hand. That is a accident waiting to happen.

IN PROOF MEANS NOTHING CERTAIN BEYOND LEGAL TO SELL. IT IS NOT A GUARANTEE OF SAFETY MANY ASSUME. END OF LARGE PRINT.