I was a MAT team leader in the Mekong Delta in 1971-72. By the time I left we had figured out the formula for winning and, in fact, were winning the war. problem is that by then we'd lost the support of the public because of the politicians like Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon and especially McNamara, The cause was noble and we saved lives in our little sphere. The enemy was evil incarnate and would stoop to nasty and horrendously violent methods to get the South Vietnamese citizenry to follow their political philosophy. My team and I got up close and personal with those evil doers a nightly basis with significant success. I was happy to do everything I could do to protect the good Vietnamese people of our district and province and it breaks my heart to think of the fate we left them with when we left.

I didn't experience any of the name calling/spitting/rudeness and I wore my uniform both going and coming home. In fact, a fellow bought me a drink at the bar in SFO and thanked me for serving.....and that was 1971 or 1972 in San Francisco!