The decision to end a dog's life is never easy but is between a responsible dog owner, the vet and a suffering dog. I put down my last dog in a flash when it was determined that he had previously undiagnosed malignant tumors on his spleen that ruptured and he was suffering. He was 12 and the dog of my life. From symptoms and diagnosis to the merciful death needle was less than 2 hours. We put our daughter on the phone to say her good byes as she was in college. After she hung up Lisa and I nodded our heads and the vet gave the cocktail through the previously inserted IV line while we stroked his head and gave our goodbyes. My decision on Abby will not be based on wallet considerations but her best interest. It is not her time. The decision to kill Roscoe was the easiest part of the process. The grief we suffered was another matter. I trust my vets diagnosis more than a well intentioned offhanded observation that vets know nothing about bird dogs. The vets in this case did not recommend surgery at this time. Abby has mild symptoms and is not suffering at this time. Gil