Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
If Ineos is going to make any inroads against Toyota, the units have to be field repairable by semiskilled people.

"....repairable by semiskilled people" That term or concept is something that BMW engine designers do not have in their database and you can count on it not happening. Maybe it is better to say that "repairable by semiskilled people" is an oxymoron in modern vehicle production. 40 years ago, the repair of electronics as well as mechanical parts were repairable to the individual component, now the definition of individual components to BMW (and others) is an entire circuit board or worse the entire "computer" devise---their own technicians do not know how to read a logic diagram.

Where do modern auto engineers and designers learn such stupidity as building engines with internal water pumps that leak water into the engine oil crankcase and further the water pump is hidden behind the camshaft timing chain that no semi-skilled person can find much less replace/repair.

25 years ago when I lived, worked and hunted (best all around wingshooting in the world) in Southern Africa, I learned that the Toyota 70 series pickup truck (Bakkies as they are called there) was the toughest pickup truck in the world and Land Rover could not match them. I suspect they are still the toughest and most reliable--- though underpowered for American ideas.