I've been doing the mental gymnastics of looking at the treasured possessions I've accumulated over the years myself.

Having never been married & not having any children or extended family that are into hunting or guns. I made the big decision to sell off a major portion of my gun gatherings this year. Many factors came into this decision with the overriding one that I didn't want to leave the headache of leaving a bunch of guns to someone in the family who would need to find a way to dispose of them. My thinking was; I've had my fun & enjoyment out of them and have a bunch of money wrapped up in these material items sitting in a safe 99.9% of the time and I might as well get my money out of them and use it for other things which I have more interest in at present.

I took a good hard look at my guns and decided which ones I really like and use on a regular basis. I kept those guns & the rest have gone down the road to new caretakers. I'm at the stage in life in early retirement that my hunting & travel adventures mean more to me than a bunch of guns sitting in a safe. I'm now going to use some of the funds from my guns to pay for doing adventures on my check-off list. I might as well use my money to do the things that enrichen my life rather than leave a major headache to the family member I've named to dispose of my estate when I'm gone.

I'm not out of the gun game completely-I've just modified the rules of how the game is played for me. I still have the guns I truly like to hunt with and can shoot clays, hunt any bird or game animal in north America & am very comfortable with my decisions at this point.