Originally Posted by Shotgunlover
A comment from someone who makes a living out of relaying ribs is an answer to Stanton. It is from Art Isaacson, of Art's Gunshop..

"There are two kinds of ribs, those that came unstuck and those that will become unstuck".

For me, seeing the rust when ribs are lifted off, is enough to prove that side ribs (and bottom ribs on a SXS) do more harm than good. Top ribs are a pointing aid for many shooter and in any case, they do not create hidden rust traps.

Art has decades of experience and knows his audience well---just view his videos on Youtube and you will see that he one of the most expert gunsmiths of Brownings in the world. His reputation is stellar.

So with that in mind I ask myself who was his audience when he said that? Was it a covey of amateur gun enthusiast or maybe a gun writer who had not practical experience at the gunsmith's bench? If I had been there (I am also an old guy like Art) I would have likely asked " Well, Art is that what I can expect as to the life of ribs on my shotgun barrels that you re-layed for me in your shop?" He would have grinned and said "no, my re-layed ribs last forever."

This is exactly what happens on 80% of shotguns --the ribs last for a lifetime of shooting.

I remember a long discussion with the late Jack Rowe of Birmingham gun trade, and the discussion of how barrels and ribs have to be properly tinned with acid flux and solder (preferable 95-100% Tin) and then the barrels and ribs washed in hot water and a neutralizer to remove 100% of the traces of acid--then then ribs are re-layed with rosin and solder. I also remember him talking about those gunmakers and gunsmiths who did not remove the acid completely which in true Jack Rowe form he called them " Shitty Gunmakers".