Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Fine picture, Steve. I admit I had to look up Gogama on a map to get a perspective of where you were/are.

Very nice gun. Can you tell us more about it, maybe even another pic or two? Appears to be a single barrel fowler. Barrel length, choke? Make, year of manufacture?

Thanks for posting.

The gun is a delight. I believe it may have started life as a 16-bore single percussion fowler, made by Thomas Seymour of London (in business 1841-1844), with the lock and twist barrel repurposed to make a centre-fire gun. As the lock was left non-rebounding, I'm guessing the 'conversion' was done in the late 1860s or early 1870s. The lock and barrel might be the only original parts, the rest was probably added when converted, built with an unmarked double-bite screw-grip action. It was re-proofed for smokeless powder at some time in the 20th century, probably when it was restored/refinished, all in the UK (where I bought it more than 20 years ago). The barrel is 30 1/4", cylinder bore, and it has a 2 1/2" chamber. It has no serial number, and it weighs less than 5 pounds. Not a flashy gun by any means, slow to load and re-load, but nicely proportioned with attention to detail and invariably the gun I pick up if I'm going to be walking all day.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]