I understand completely Stan. I looked very closely at your pics, but it is hard to tell what walnut species you have on that Fox. The stock cheek provides the clearest look, and from that, I would say it is Black Walnut, but that is merely an educated guess. I have amassed a pretty good amount of walnut blanks and slabs in the Black, English, French, Claro, Circassian, and Bastogne varieties, and keep as many usable scrap pieces as possible for patching. And despite that, it is still often hard to find a close match when doing a repair. Doing it from pics on a computer monitor would be very difficult indeed.

I suppose you could always take Mama Bear and your forend on a little vacation to Las Vegas after harvest, and make a side trip to visit Cecil Fredi. Maybe you could write off the expense as "repairs to farm pest control equipment."

But even if you cut down your BTFE, and even if it currently has no stain, it may still be tough to match finish coloration. When I did my little test on wood glues several years ago, I tried well over half a dozen different stock finishes on my sample glue joints, and every one produced a different color and surface appearance. You may want to test your choice of finish on scraps you cut off to make sure you will be satisfied with how it matches the buttstock.