Though I’ve never had experience with the Francottes I can tell you the Model 700 series are about as bullet proof as any SxS ever made. After the war, when the Model 700 series began, most of the workmen remaining in the Webley works were old hands at their jobs. I have found the gun’s construction to be very good and consistent. The barrels are accurately bored and choked and the striking and rust bluing excellent. And they are well actioned. The Southgate ejectors function perfectly and are well timed if old grease hasn’t clogged up something. Case hardening is of the bone type and is exceptionally well done. The wood is well inlet. Most of the 700’s I’ve owned have very plain stocks and the finishing leaves a lot to be desired with pores wide open and quickly oiled. However, the wood grain is well laid out for strength. The checkering is coarse. The action engraving is often plainly and quickly done. Before we jump to quick conclusions we need to remember the times these guns were constructed. After WW2 the market for new SxS guns was very slow and makers were struggling to produce by hand a product that could compete with machine made guns. It was a race they were doomed to come in seconded place. But they ran a good race and over nearly three decades produced a quality low priced gun for shooters. I love the guns for what they are: a hand made shotgun turned out in the old way that competes well with the machine made crap offered today.

Incidentally, later on they offered higher grades, the Model 701 and 702. Both had much better wood, checkering, finishing, and engraving. I have owned them all and think they are incredible values and great examples of the last of the Birmingham guns other than the bespoke products which are still produced by various makers. I think I remember that at the end of production in 1973 it was estimated the cost of manufacturing these higher grades to break even was close to £10,000.

Generally the condition of these guns on the market today are in very high original condition. At the time of their production the days of heavy usage had passed and only shot during the short seasons we have. And many seem to have been put in a closet until now. So basically they are as new.

Between W. C.Scott and Peter Webley (Webley & Scott) I’m betting that at least 80% of all English guns, whether Birmingham or London or the multitude of country makers, had some origin in the Webley plant. Many so called best guns were completely made and finished in the Webley factory and merely had the retailers name placed on the finished product. That’s one of the dirty little secrets of the English trade.