This thread started in 2018 regarding giving up hunting. There are likely very very few of us who have not been forced by events outside our control to give up some physical/recreational activity which we enjoyed, and likely was part of who we were. Some emotional/relational "traumatic amputations" are also pretty painful...and just don't heal.
And although diet and exercise matters, most of what determines our long (and good) health is our genetics...for which we have no say...and for which we shouldn't brag. But we can do our best to deal with what we get.
When my FGF was in his teens, he had something wrong in his gut, and went to the early days of the Mayo Clinic and was told he would be dead in 2 years. So he went to Central Baptist Seminary in KC Kansas, started waiting to die while giving his life to ministry, continued to have lots of problems (some of which was likely gluten sensitivity which no one knew about back then), and lived to 107.

There are many once young men who were at the 99th percentile who lost a lot, and spent time at Walter Reed, who are more of a man than I'll ever be. They had to decide, as each of us must, if we want to just live...or be alive.

MercyMe "Say I Won't"