Thank you for the complements! I appreciate that.

Re: "English' checkering,,that's about all I've ever heard it refered to as 'English Flat Top Checkering'

Some people do fine job of it using 60* cutters and not going very deep. That cuts a very narrow line and leaves you with the broad flat top.
But I believe from what I've seen and from what others have told me,,the original style was cut with straight sided walls/vertical sides to the cuts w/no taper.
Like a thin saw blade w/no 'set' to the blade would cut.
The bottom of the cuts are actually rounded grooves in most instances. Not flat channels like the same saw blade would cut.

Using a 60* cutter to lay out the pattern and then sinking it down deeper works quite well. But if any of the taper of the 60* cutter is visible at the tops of the flats when done, or the lines are too wide because of the use of the tapered cutter,,purists of the style will immediately glare and point.

Most English style is cut fairly deep about .020+. That's deep enough that if using a 60* cutter to mimic it you will have the taper of the 60* diamonds showing if you try to use it to finish the depth.

The checkering tool makers used to sell cutters for English style, don't know if they do anymore. Making a 2 line cutter/spacer isn't too difficult .

The style of checkering does not allow for much error when cutting as does pyramid style checkering. In the latter slight corrections can be made as the cut is deepened. The final outcome is that the diamond point be centered and the spacing be correct.
In English style, your first cut establishes where the line will be. Trying to move it over one way or the other only widens out the line and that detracts from the entire pattern as the very narrow checkering lines are all just that,,simple narrow saw like cuts straight down into the wood.

It's a difficult style to do well.
The center of the flat of each diamond (some of the checkering was cut to near square proportions) were often decorated with a punch dot or other figure. Some had inlayed silver, gold, ivory dots, stars, etc.
They can get pretty tacky looking sometimes but that was the style.