This thread has certainly brought back good memories of a lot of good days in a variety of "huntin' trucks". Counting back I've had 3 Jeeps (CJ-5, CJ-7, & a Cherokee), 2 Land Rovers (a long wheel base station wagon & a SWB 2-door) and 5 Toyotas (4 Tacoma/Hilux and 1 4Runner). All 4WD.

The CJ-5 was my primary vehicle during my waterfowl years with Charlie (my black lab) sitting shotgun and the canvas covered back filled with decoys, waders and gun & gear.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Land Rovers were both Series IIA models with the 2.25L 4 cyl petrol engines and the old style headlights positioned between the "wings." I was a passable double clutcher from my boyhood farm years but I became a double clutching fool after these two vehicles. They had 4 speed trans but non syncho 1st and 2nd gears and particularly on steep mountain tracks or long stretches of sand they required A LOT of shifting because of the underpowered engines (and you'd better be smooth and quick or you'd lose momentum and be in trouble.) They also both had manual engine cranks that got more use than you might imagine. Deep in the bush and far from any help, it was reassuring to be able to crank the "car" back to life when you crawled out of your bedroll to a dead battery. Also, (and I mean no offense to our British brothers here), you'd better be a pretty decent mechanic. It was always something. I carried two tool boxes and a small spares store with me including shackle bolts and half shafts. They did love to snap axles. This is the SWB 40 years ago literally on the back side of the desert (the Kalahari). 4WD Hilux in the background. Eldest son finding a quiet place to read.

The same “little fellow” somewhere above 12,000' with Dad.

And as for the Tacoma/Hilux/4Runner(Gen 1-4) family of vehicles. Nothing to say. They just go.