OK, who makes the best vehicle; Ford or Chevy? Sounds like this discussion has become equivalent to that pointless kind of argument. Personally I don't care which countries gun is considered the "best; and although I do own one beautiful old British gun, my personal tastes are for what would be considered the better American double guns. No good reason, I just do; but I had no trouble killing game or smashing clays with my English gun or any of the American guns I've owned. And although I do believe most British guns are much finer finished internally than their American counterparts, it's my opinion that even the least expensive American made Parker, Smith, Fox, Ithaca, Baker, etc. double gun was as rugged and reliable as any other double gun; and so effective that the game bird populations of the US were nearly wiped out by the turn of the last century. Most of that destruction was performed with American made guns as few period American shooters could afford imported English guns. There's little wonder that many survivors have cracked stocks, and other issues given the use and abuse that most received. The overwhelming majority of American made double guns were a maker's lowest grade, and least expensive gun; they were purchased mostly as tools, and treated in that manner. The cheap British "game keepers" guns I've seen fared no better. When it comes to quality American made double guns, based on the research I've done with the few surviving company records we have available, the number of high grade guns produced ($200 and up) is tiny; and less than 1% of total production by any maker. Inexpensive guns keep the doors to these old companies open, and I for one am glad we still have them to enjoy.