Super Foxes were built for water fowling. I know that. That's all mine has ever done under my care, until today. It is absolutely the finest duck gun I've ever used. Thirty-two inch barrels, heavy to help absorb the recoil of big loads, and strong to absorb the same. I was in a quandary this morning. I was invited to a late season dove shoot for this afternoon and had to decide which double to take. My 32" A grade 12 had not been used lately, but the HE, which usually gets hunted on ducks in AR, did not this season, because of low water there, and COVID 19.

So, this morning as I pondered the wheres and heretofore of the doubles in the stable I thought "Well, since the HE couldn't get out for ducks this year why not give her a fling on the dove field?" I've owned this Super for somewhere around 15 years and never used it for anything but ducks ............ until today.

I went 5 for 5, then missed a bird. Then killed three more with one shot each .......... okay, eight for nine. Pretty good. Two doves came from my right, true crossers at about 35 yards. I was using Fiocchi Interceptors in the right barrel (1 oz. spreaders) and Federals in the left, no. 8s, both. The birds looked closer than 35 yards so I pulled a little ways out in front of them and hit the front trigger. Both birds fell dead at the shot, and landed not over 10 feet apart. A true double, and I was 10 for 10! Then, there was a lull in the flights, which gave me time to think. That's a bad thing. The wheels fell off, and I killed a couple more, but with several misses.

Probably my last shoot of the season (tomorrow is the last day of the season and it's supposed to rain all afternoon), but it's been a good late season. I remember an article, probably in DGJ, about "Pop" Headrick using an HE on a dove shoot. Kinda gave me a cozy feeling this afternoon, remembering that.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

SRH