Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
Sooner or later we all run across a screw that will not loosen, frozen in place.

If you have been reading the gun boards for any length of time there are hundreds of ways to get that screw out. Heat, drill it out, penetrating oil, hitting the screwdriver with a hammer and list is endless.

The best way I know is to use the mill or drill press, put a Brownell bit ground to fit the slot into the chuck. Lower the quill or raise the table until the bit is solid straight into the bottom of the screw and lock everything down. Use you hand (make sure the equipment is unplugged before you start)and just turn the chuck. The screw will come out or the head will come off, then your lined up to drill it out if need be.

I couldn't agree more Michael with your remarks above. Since I first started gunsmithing in the early 1970's I have made more replacement screws than anything else. I rapidly learned that unless I made a set of screwdrivers for every gun I worked on that sooner or later they would come back the boogered screw heads. Making replacement screws was not my favourite pastime.

I milled all my screwdrivers out of Silver Steel stock (for USA read Drill rod. The tips were milled parallel using a side cutting end mill. No great sweat, but I did get fed up with how many 'Bubba's there were using any tool they could get to enter the screw slot. When I make screws today (which I now only make for myself) I use high quality grade Tool Steel that is correctly heat treated when machining is finished. Nothing but nothing spoils the look of any firearm more than boogered screw heads.

Harry