March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (smlekid, Marc Ret, Ted Schefelbein, bushveld, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 838 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hallo Everybody!
I just start my adventure with black powder rifles collection...
I do not know much antique rifles and hope that I could use some of Your advise...
There is something I'd like to add to my small collectoin: [img]http://img23.otofotki.pl/iz45_Obraz-124.jpg.html[/img]
[img]http://img23.otofotki.pl/ba783_Obraz-126.jpg.html[/img]
[img]http://img23.otofotki.pl/rq801_Obraz-133.jpg.html[/img]
[img]http://img23.otofotki.pl/uh131_Obraz-152.jpg.html[/img] [img]http://img23.otofotki.pl/yi429_Obraz-135.jpg.html[/img]

Good condition, fully opeartional, 110cm total lenght, barrels 71cm. Silver addings on the barrel....
Any idea what might it be worth?
I will appreciate all Your comments.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome Newbie123,

That over and under, rotating barreled combination Ball and Shotgun is quite fascinating and obviously well made and cared for. Without any markings I can see in the pictures, I would say it was made (rather than manufactured) by a good gunsmith probably in the early 1800's for hunting purposes in possibly Switzerland/Austria/Germany or possibly further east in Europe.

If there are Proof Marks that at least should identify the country of origin, a makers name (if there is one) may also assist.

As to it's value, it looks good enough to grace a museum so it will be of interest to serious firearms collectors and therefore bring a very good price. However, this double is way outside my own area of experience or expertese and would simply be guessing at a price, which is not what you really want. What is the seller asking for it?

You should expect more replies later today once America wakes up.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 02/14/13 05:21 AM. Reason: spelling error

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most interesting. What is the firearms merchant's name atop the rib: Moritz D???? Was it retailed out of Poland and did you acquire it there? Being a little biased, I'd like to say it was made by A.V. Lebeda Prag but I think it may pre-date him a bit and it is possible that it was made by his predecessor Mateji/Matthew(?) Brandejsovi. But I have seen other examples that were noted as coming out of Potsdam/Spandau, but I do not remember them having the rotating feature, which on multi-barrel sporting weapons seemed to be a staple for A.V. Lebeda. I'd guess it to date between 1780 & the early 1800s???

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

It says Moritz Doll in Bruchsal....

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Harry,
thanks for Your respond. Seller wants about 5k USD....

Sidelock
Sidelock

In German language this is called a "Wender", from wenden = to turn.
These were actually quite common in flintlock times and I see no specific link to Bohemia or Lebeda, except he still used the Wender principle for his 4-barreled guns.
My feeling is that in percussion times the double-barreled "Wender" was phased out and the true double or cape gun (mostly side by side) took over - but this is just gut feeling.

Here is another example:
http://www.hermann-historica.de/db2_de/aktuelle-auktion.html

Regards,
fuhrmann

Last edited by fuhrmann; 02/14/13 05:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Newbie123
Harry,
thanks for Your respond. Seller wants about 5k USD....

Hello Newbie123,

Well, 5,000 USD isn't small change. So you have to ask yourself what do I want it for? Is it going to be a collectors item that won't be shot, or do you intend to use it occasionally? If the latter it would certainly pay to have it looked over by a gunsmith with experience of such arms. It would also be advisable to have the barrels Magnafluxed to see if there are any flaws present which may cause injury or damage when it is fired.

With any firearm that's approximately 200 years old you have to think carefully about firing it beforehand. Kept as a collectors item it will certainly increase in value over the years and your not likely to loose on it, if you should happen to sell it later. Good quality antiques are a better investment these days than stocks and shares.

The final decision is obviously yours. You could try offering less and perhaps meet the seller half way between your price and his, at least you may save a bit of money. You also have to consider why he is selling. If that person is pushed for money, he may accept a lower bid. Whatever you decide, good luck.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting Fuhrmann. You know how we fancy Lebeda but true similar locks can be found on French wares for the period.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the traditional muzzle loading crowd these are called "swivel breeches". Custom made repros of these were somewhat popular in the historical trekking crowd in the 1990s. Two trekkers in my group had them back then. Admittedly I'm not been an active flintlock shooter or trekker for 20 years or so, but I've not seen many lately as compared to back then.

Last edited by Chasseur d'ours; 02/15/13 04:57 PM.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Gentelmnen!
Thank You for you comments!
One more queston: I coudn't find any traces of gunsmith named Moritz Doll from Bruchsal.... what are the chances that name on barrels belongs to the owner of the gun, not to the maker?...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.